Thursday, January 19, 2012

Snow Day #2...the Tale of Snow, Ice, Snow and More to Come

I received the phone call last night, school was being cancelled for the second day in a row.  I am so thankful that the school district is so mindful of the safety of the students and staff.  In an unprecidented move, the two universities near us also cancelled classes for today and one of the county courthouses is also closed.  The roads are terrible!





 Earlier in that day we had received a call from Jeff's work, they were cancelling all their delivery runs due to the weather and bad roads.  This is the first time I can remember them doing this since Jeff went to work for them.  I was very thankful to get that call so that I would not be up all night worrying and praying.  They are planning on running tonight and I am praying that the roads are in better shape than they were last night.  I suspect I will spend tonight praying and not sleeping much.




 We had an icy mist last night that covered the previous snowfall with a hard crust and then more heavy wet snow fell on top of that.  Our poor tree is not looking so good.  Jeff dug the car out and moved it in case branches started coming down.














 The bush beside our neighbor's front door is almost completely covered in a thick blanket of snow.















Roof tops are covered on houses and garages.  I have been carefully watching one of the garages down the alley that seems to be straining under the weight of the heavy wet snow and ice.  It would not surprise me if it collapsed.



 The power lines are all above ground in our small town and branches of old and twisted trees are struggling.  Some of those branches are over the power lines and we have had some power surges but have not totally lost power yet.  I baked a pan of yeast rolls this morning and got the laundry done just in case we lose power later today.  I think it is just a matter of time before that happens and I wanted to be as prepared as possible.








My amazing husband was out shoveling the driveway this morning and you could hear the cracking of the ice layer in the snow and the thud of the heavy snow hitting the ground.  It was so heavy that it broke the snow shovel but Jeff was able to repair it.  Sasha needed to check out what daddy was doing and stood guard for about 2 minutes and decided that was enough...she wanted back in the house where it was warm.  She is getting old and like her mommy, is a creature of comfort. ;)   


It will be interesting to see when this storm is over just how much snow we will have gotten.  I am also praying it does not warm up quickly or we may have some major flooding to deal with in our little town and in the next town over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!