Thursday, March 3, 2016

No Fail Biscuit Recipe

     A very sweet blogger, hi Mountain Mama, commented on my Sausage Gravy post that she wanted to learn how to make a good biscuit.  So here is my tried and true recipe that I have been using for years!  I got it out of an old The Farmer's Almanac Cook Book.  

Sift together 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon sugar, , 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 3 teaspoons baking powder.  Add 4 tablespoons liquid shortening (oil) and 3/4 cup milk.  Mix to a soft dough.  Pat down on lightly floured board and roll to 1/4 inch thickness.  Cut with a small biscuit cutter and place on ungreased baking sheet.  Bake 10-12 minutes at 500F (yes that is the correct temperature).

* Do not overmix the dough or you will have tough biscuits.  I will sometimes substitute 1 cup of whole wheat flour for 1 cup of the all purpose flour.  I do not use a small biscuit cutter but rather pat the dough out into a small rectangle or square and then cut that into smaller squares, like if you were cutting up brownies.  I place them about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet.  I just found this faster to do it this way when I had lots of hungry mouths at home to feed.  I also doubled the recipe because my family loves homemade biscuits. :)


   I hope this biscuit recipe works well for you.  It has never failed me and my family says they are the best biscuits they have ever tasted. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!