Friday, April 4, 2014

Dinner Anyone?

   My husband grew up in a household with a mother who worked full time, and was involved in her church and community and hosted large groups of people in their home.  She also tried to be there for all the important things in her children's lives and be there for her friends as well.  To say that she was busy is an understatement.  To help her balance it all out, she would cook on the weekends and had a limited set rotating menu of favorites of her family.  My hubby was very content  and some of those things are still favorites that I now enjoy also and we even requested one of those dishes as a Christmas present this year. :)

  My growing up years, food wise at least, were very different from my hubby's.  I grew up in Hawaii, with a very diverse and delicious food culture.  My mother made a great variety of dishes influenced by her growing up years and the culture around us.  Our school lunches were even a representation of the multicultural students.  To top that off, my father managed a resort, so we we frequently ate there and were treated to fine dining and foods from around the world.

  When my husband and I got first got together, I fixed a big Chinese food meal for him and some friends.  He loved it!  I went on to make him teriyaki, chicken in white wine sauce, a pork chop casserole that melts in your mouth and many other things that he had never tried.  He liked it all and I was determined that I was going to further broaden his culinary horizons. ;)  I made it my mission to provide him with meals (on a tight budget) that he would enjoy and create some new favorites for him.

   We have a busy life, but I still try to keep a varied menu.  Below are just a sampling of some of the things that have appeared on our menu lately.

Garlic and Herb Pork Roast, Chicken Rice a Roni, Carrot Sticks and sliced Strawberries (Hubby also had Yellow Wax Beans and skipped the Strawberries)

Italian Sausage Meat Sauce over Polenta served with Romaine Salad (Hubby had homemade croutons with his salad also)

Classic Pork Roast served with Roasted Sweet and Russet Potatoes, Asparagus and Garlic Carrots

Udon Noodles with Mushrooms, Green Beans  and Green Onions in a Miso Broth

Bacon and Shrimp Pasta Salad

Sweet and Spicy Glazed Meatballs, homemade Mashed Potatoes and Crescent Rolls


 
   As you can see, there is a big variety of food there.  My boys have grown up being exposed to all kinds of foods and are adventurous eaters themselves now.  I'm so thankful that I could provide them with a variety of foods and dishes from different cultures and that they still request their favorites including Italian Pasta Salad, Lemon Chicken Pasta with Peppers, homemade Mac and Cheese, Beef Stroganov,  Kalua Pig and Rice, and the much loved  Cream Cheese and Crab Wontons.   For me, making food for my family is one of the ways to show them how much I love them...and I love them a whole lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!