Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Frugal Doings Mid and Late October 2015



   Since we now have some major medical bills to pay off once more, I am in super frugal mode once again.  We did raise the limit on our credit card to pay for all of this and in the long run, that is going to save us money too since getting a personal loan was going to be about the same interest rate and other ways of financing it were going to cost us way more in interest.  So here is what we are doing to save, save, save!

~paying for the hospital bill in one lump sum and being given a a 10% discount for doing that
~our credit card gives us reward points for using the credit card and the debit card, I will be using the points to cash in for gift cards for Christmas gifts this year
~I'm spending some of this "down time" making Christmas gifts for family and sent one of those gifts home with my parents who were just here helping us
~I'm trying to constantly run my points programs in the background while I am am on the computer
~I recently signed up for Pinch Me and got some great samples in the mail along with a coupon for a full sized Tidy Cats Clumpable Cat Litter
~cashing in a Swagbucks to get Walmart gift cards that I then use to help pay for things there.  I just cashed in and used $65 worth the other day
~weaning myself down off my pains meds after my surgery, they are not cheap and I don't want to become dependent on them
~my hubby bought a large used chest freezer from a friend for $75 since we were running out of room in our big upright freezer to store all the venison and garden produce
~my parents were here helping us and my mom cooked up a storm leaving us with lots and lots of leftovers
~my DIL Heather had made us a lovely dinner and sent it home with us right before my surgery
~my son Jaysn and DIL Rachel brought us out pizza, pop and candy after my surgery and then Rachel stayed with me that night when Jeff had to go to work so we watched a dvd that we already own
~borrowing more books and dvds through the library
~doing my Disney Movie Rewards points thing
~getting some free groceries as part of our volunteer work (Jeff is doing this by himself today since I cannot do any real lifting)
~my parents bought us some foam padding for our couch and we used some discount coupons to help pay for it
~getting rather creative with items in the pantry and trying to use them up before they go bad
~looking up some old stock certificates to see if they are worth anything
~since I am grounded from driving while on my prescription pain meds, that saves money on gas for my car since I am not running around as much
~combining errands and things so there are less trips to take into town anyway
~taking advantage of freebies and samples
~using heated up rice bags instead of an electric heating pad...I think they actually work better
~watching shows and videos online
~learning new skills via Youtube
~using an insulated coffee mug at home to keep my coffee hot longer
~my parents gifted us a beautiful night time print by Herb Ka'ne, one of my favorite Hawaiian artists, I went to high school with his daughter Jennifer
~took 2 leftover Italian Sausages, some kale from the garden, 3 potatoes, and onion and made those into Zuppa Toscana 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!