Thursday, August 1, 2024

And Yet Another Long Overdue Post


 


   The picture above is of my paternal grandparents on their wedding day.  I absolutely love my grandmother's wedding dress and veil.  She died when I was very young and only had one time getting to know me when I was about 2 years old.  I have no memory whatsoever of her and that is something that really makes me sad.


   This leads me into some other thoughts.  I cherish my time with my grandchildren and get to spend lots of time with the 3 older boys who live close, Bradley 12, Isaiah 11, and Steven 7.  I so wish we lived closer to our two youngest grandchildren Tate and Peyton.  Jeff and I are trying to figure out when we can go and visit them that works for both us and for them.  Since we had to cancel our trip earlier this Summer, this is something that we really feel we need to do soon.  Praying we can find a way to make it work for all of us.


   Life has been beyond busy here and time seems to just fly by.  We have been determined to keep the gardens alive with this horrible heat.  We had one soaking rain come through is the past 3 months.  The thirsty ground took it all in and I could see that the plants were happier for a day or so before the heat again took its toll on them.  I frequently have to water twice a day.  The heat is also taking a toll on the hummingbirds who are drinking up all the nectar I put out for them.  I have to refill the hummingbird feeder every 3 days now.  It used to be once a week.


   I have been harvesting squash, potatoes, raspberries, strawberries and blueberries from the garden.  Our tomato plants are starting to set fruit, as are the cantaloupe plants.  The cucumber plants are starting to produce tiny little cucumbers.  The pole beans are struggling, and I don't know if we will get anything off them.  Our apple tree and pear tree seem to be struggling and producing little sized fruit.  I believe this is due to the heat and lack of water.  I need to get better at making sure they stay well-watered.


   Jeff and I spent about 2 weeks getting ready for our townwide yard sales.  We did sell a bunch of stuff and made about $100 for us, $38 for Jeff's aunt and Heather also made money selling her delicious homemade huckleberry cinnamon rolls.  We had lots of stuff left over so we took the sheets, blankets and bedspreads to the Red Cross Shelter that had been set up for victims of a big fire burning south of us.  We met a sweet mother and daughter there who had left with only the clothing on their backs and asked if we had any sweaters since it got cold in the shelter at night.  Jeff gave them a big bag full of sweaters from our yard sale and they were so grateful.  I really do pray they have a home to return to.  The rest of the items were donated to one of our local thrift stores that keeps the money in our community to help people get back on their feet again.


   We have made many trips up to see Jeff's aunt and will be going up to see her once again tomorrow.  We will deposit the money from the yard sale from the sale of some of her things into her account at the care center for her to use as she pleases.  I really do enjoy our visits with her and am so glad that we are in each other's lives again.  She is always pleased to hear how her cat Remmie is doing and this time I get to tell her how Remmie now cuddles with me at night and sometimes even during the day.


    While in town tomorrow to visit Jeff's aunt, we will also be going to an appointment with a Medicare broker since Jeff will be 65 next month.  Is it just me or is this whole Medicare thing confusing?  Hopefully I will understand more after tomorrow.  My reward for sitting through all of that is being able to go to a few thrift stores.  The Goodwill up there has been newly redone and the items there are really nice.  I have a few more things that I would like to pick up like some soft cotton lounge pants and I am hoping to find some either there or at another store.  The last time we were there I found some needed things and some nice artwork.


   Speaking of thrift stores, I found a really nice cuddly blanket that is perfect for this Winter and Christmas time.  I also found a knome, a decorative plate, a shirt, and a few other items.  The stores are putting out more Fall decor now and I am here for it!  Today I actually went through the Fall decor I have on hand here at home.  Most of it came from thrift stores.  Very few items were bought new, as I find great stuff at the thrift stores, and I can't stand to pay retail for anything if possible.


   I had better end this post here.  I need to get a few things done before Chris comes to pick me up.  We are having a birthday party for Isaiah at the skating rink (no, I will NOT be skating), followed by dinner at Panda Express.  Jeff is working today so he has my car and he will just meet us at the party.  This way I only have one car in town, and it gives me a chance to have some one on one time with Chris.  We rarely get that chance anymore and both and I enjoy our visits.


    Be blessed my friends and keep praying, staying strong and keeping your eyes and ears open.  So much is going on in this crazy world and we need to be able to separate the truth from the lies.  Make sure to also take time to relax, unplug and enjoy life to the fullest.  We all need that balance to keep us sane.


   

 


   


   



11 comments:

  1. I had a nice time visiting your blog today. The Wedding Party looked so elegant. Beautiful dress! ~d on the prairie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good to see your comment! Praying all is well with you!

      Delete
  2. Welcome to my world of trying to keep the garden plants alive in the heat with little water! My water bill for the last billing period was sky high!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so afraid to see mine! Our electric rates just went up too. Add food, gas, etc. and it all adds up way too quickly.

      Delete
  3. Glad to see your post. Totally agree about the unrelenting heat.

    Jumping in quickly - I had to wade through he decision about Medicare when I moved back to Cali two years ago. Everybody I knew had a Medicare Advantage plan. I chose something different - a traditional Medicare Supplement and went with the highest level offered in my county - Level G. What I didn't know until after I made the decision was that in the future, I could chose to go 'down' a level but never 'up'.

    I also chose this kind insurance over the Advantage plan because I did not want any kind of annual deductible. I end up paying more per month but no annual deductible and no co-pays to visit a medical provider.

    All of the Advantage plans for my county had huge annual deductibles and hefty co-pays. And -- I learned that even though Medicare is a Federal program, what is available to me is determined by which county I live in. Weird, right?

    I did chose dental coverage which I will be dropping shortly. I've chosen a dentist who is 'out of network' for my insurance provider. The only coverage I could find provides $1000 of coverage per year for out of network dentists. The insurance pays about 70% of the dental cost But here's the kicker -- only what the insurance decides the cost 'should' be. So --- say the dentist bills $500 for the procedure, the insurance company comes along and says it's only 'worth' $300. They then pay 70%of 300. Not 70% of what the dentist actually charged...

    I too went to a broker but mine was an independent insurance broker. And he was amazing and worth the time spent talking to him. No out of pocket cost on my side.

    Sorry this went so long.
    Sending hugs and prayers... SJ now in Californa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend for sharing your experience with this whole thing. Jeff and I are leaning the same way you went. Our county only has one insurance provider for Medicare Advantage and their reputation is awful! I did not know that you could only go down and not up once you picked your supplemental coverage. Interesting and very helpful information. Jeff and I are going to apply through our state for a discounted rate due to our income level...I hope we get it because the premium costs are going to take a large chunk out of Jeff's SS check.

      Hope you and puppy girl are doing well!

      Delete
  4. I love your blog! However The last paragraph today about staying strong and keeping one's eyes open really resonated with me. I shall be reading that again and again as I face the struggles ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ((((((HUGS))))) Ellen. I'm noticing more and more things lately that are really starting to ramp up my "uh oh meter".

      Delete
  5. Me again.. Yes -- trying to figure out Medicare is very confusing. I'm good at this kind of thing and my brain was taxed doing the research. My mantra at the time was 'nothing is easy'.

    And my experience was worse since I had turned 65 earlier in the year but was living outside the U.S at the time I turned 65. So the deadlines for me were based on when I returned to the US. You'll have a different set of timeline/deadlines for Jeff.

    Going to the broker was one of the best decisions I made. I did all the research I could so had some knowledge walking into the appointment. But he was amazing and he wasn't pushing any one kind of insurance. Here in my county, for example, he told me that the Advantage plans are not widely accepted. His words rang true a few months later when a neighbor moved to Calif from Idaho . She has an Advantage plan and she had to scramble to get coverage here.
    The traditional Medicare Supplement insurance that I chose has to be accepted by anyone (hospital or provider) who accepts Medicare. And it's good outside your county of residence when traveling for example.

    But, the Advantage plan includes your prescription meds. So -- being on the Medicare Supplemental Insurance, I had to also figure out my prescription (ie Part D). The broker was amazing - I just had to give him a list of what I took on a regular basis, and then he did the work for me and found a plan and also which pharmacy to use.

    And, he's been in contact with me every year to make sure I'm ok with what I have and that it's current for my needs. I didn't expect that kind of followup care from him.

    Again - sorry for the length. Hope did ok with all this. Cheers,
    SJ now in California

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me again. I know it's a lot of effort emotionally and cognitively to go through and figure out Medicare. It sent me into huge flares so please take good care of yourself.
    But God provides, that's my testimony. For instance, I actually read one of the inserts sent with my last electric bill. And because of that, I learned of a program I might qualify for to help reduce my bill. And I applied and just learned this week that I was accepted.
    So, yes, paying for medical will be tough but God will see you through. I believe that with my whole heart.
    And puppy girl is lying next to me on the bed as I type. She leans against me so she can lie on her back - adorable. And 3years old next month!
    Cheers, SJ now in California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement and I am so glad you qualified for the reduced electric bill. I can't believe puppy girl will be 3 already!

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!