Thursday, August 15, 2024

A "Thankful" Post

 




   Aww...Maggie Mae brings me such joy and laughter.  She is a silly dog and I frequently find her sleeping in such weird positions.  On this particular day it was hot and she had her paws up in the air to cool off.  She is learning "manners" now like sitting and waiting for her food until I tell her she can eat it instead of trying to knock me over to get to it. 😉 We are still working on trying to get her to not be right behind us when we are in the kitchen so that she does not trip us.  She was used to being right beside my cousin Jeremy at all times and being the center of attention, so being with us and having to share attention with the 4 cats is a big adjustment.  There is not a day that goes by when I don't look at her and think of my dear cousin.  I will forever be thankful for all the time we did have together, the laughter we shared, and being able to reconnect our family once again.


   Jeff's aunt Helen will be moving to another care facility.  There is just not the staffing needed to give her the care that she deserves and requires where she is now.  She has met with some of the people that run that facility and she seems to like them.  Next Tuesday Jeff and I will be going up to help her get moved up and settled into her new "home".  It is further away from us, but we will continue to make every effort to get up to see her as often as possible and they are going to be setting up Zoom calls for us so that she can still see us and talk to us on a regular basis.  We bought her a Squishmallow to hug and hold onto.  We wanted her to have something soft and cuddly.  We are seeing more and more moments of her mind slipping away to somewhere else so we are more and more thankful for the times when she is totally "present" with us.  We are so very blessed to have her in our lives again and we cherish every moment we do have with her.


   Our garden is starting to grace us with cucumbers, squash, the first of the tomatoes and I can see that we have many cantaloupes coming on.   The blackberries are starting to ripen and the apples will need picking in the next few days to make into applesauce.  The raspberries and blueberries are about done, but the strawberries are giving us a second cropping.  I used some of the last of the raspberries to make another batch of raspberry gin since I gave my last bottle that I made to Chris.  I need to pick and dry some of the herbs from the garden and I need to process all the squash.  Some of the squash will be shredded and dehydrated and some with be peeled, chopped up and then frozen to add to stews, soups and other dished throughout the Fall and Winter months.  Of course I am also using some of it now in different dishes and breads.  I'm thinking that this first batch of cucumbers will be eaten in salads and some will be made into quick refrigerator pickles.  I'm needing to prune back the tomatoes to give them more airflow between the plants and I need to tie up some of the branches to get them up off the ground.  The garden and its bounty are keeping me pretty busy these days.


   I went through my clothing for the upcoming colder months and realized that I needed more soft and cuddly things to wear while at home.  I went to my usual sources (thrift stores) and found some nice loungewear type pants and some jersey material sweaters in gray and black.  Gray and black are my go-to colors, especially gray as it looks good on me.  I find that the older I get, the more that I just want soft and comfortable clothing and supportive shoes.  I still want nice purses though and it continues to be a weakness of mine.   Speaking of purses, I hit the motherload at Goodwill the other day.  Someone working in the back and pricing things really had no idea what they had and put out a beautiful blackberry shade small crossbody purse that looks to be brand new for $5.99.  They also put out a Kate Spade green zippered pouch type bag for $3.99 and a B Makowski black purse for $5.99.  I bought all three and will be keeping the first bag and most likely selling the other two.  Some of the other treasures that I found were an old advertising yardstick for a bank in Idaho (I will use this as part of my kitchen decor) and some beautiful decorative plates that I also use for kitchen decor, some small Thomas Kinkade framed prints, and a pretty and much needed picture frame.  Some books also made it into my basket...no surprise there. All of these things make me very happy and do not cost much at all, in fact some will make me more than enough money to pay for all of the other items.


   Heather, Rachel and I had a "girls' day" lunch date last Sunday and the guys all had "male bonding time".  The girls and I went to Applebee's and then did a bit of shopping while the guys had a BBQ and played some outdoor games at Chris and Heather's house.  When the girls and I got back to the house, we all headed out to see their garden and Isaiah, my garden loving grandson, sent me home with some rather large squash for both myself and for Shannon next door.  I almost forgot, I gave the girls some really cute house slippers that I found on sale and they loved them.  It was a "just because" gift.    It has now become a "thing" for the girls and I to go out to lunch together and just have some time without the distractions of the kids and husbands. 😊  It is something that we all look forward to and the guys really enjoy their "male bonding" time too.  I wish that Josh, Lauren and the littles lived here too so they could have joined in the fun.


   I had better get going and get a few things done before the heat of the day sets in.  Be blessed my friends and try to find some "calm and beauty" in the middle of the storms of life.  There really is so much to be thankful for and sometimes it is the simple things like a beautiful flower in the garden, a hug from a loved one, the silly antics of a pet or the hummingbirds flitting around the garden and stopping for a moment right in front of you as to say "thank you" for the food that you provide for them in the hummingbird feeder.  For me this morning it was having hot cup of  coffee while there was a cool breeze on my back porch. I settled in on my recently bought comfy outdoor chairs bought at an estate sale while a cat cuddled up on my lap.  It was a beautiful and peaceful way to start my day.  Yes my sweet friends, you can find pockets of calm and beauty if you just seek them out every single day.


   


   


   


   


   

9 comments:

  1. This blessed me. Thank you!

    P.S. That's a happy dog! How wonderful that you were able to take him in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandi. Maggie Mae really is a happy dog! I hope you have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  2. Love the picture of your Maggie Mae. My Puppygirl will lie on the bed next to me and be on her back and using me for balance. They provide so much comfort and love. And yes - nearly 3yo.

    Wonderful post. yes --- one happy place is having the front door and back sliding door open in the mornings, playing praise music on the radio and having coffee.

    The next week we're 'only' in the high 90s - no triple digits. I'm ready for a break. My little cherry tomato plant and my chard keep chugging away. I'm ready to plant a fall garden.

    Sending hugs and prayers, SJ now in California

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you post. Sounds like things are going well.
    What a cute pup!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to see this "thankful" post from you. You are right; there are many blessings to be found in each day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My cat Al does the same thing. He is always next to me in the kitchen and I really have to always look down to see where he is before I start moving. I have almost tripped a number of times when I didn't look for him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are Heather and Rachel your daughters in law? If so, they are beyond blessed to have you for a mother in law!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Debbie!
    Your puppy is so cute and she was blessed to find a home with you. Your cousin knew she would be taken care of. :)
    I was watching this video on YouTube and because you have Fibromyalgia, I though you might like it. Here is the link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu0Oa9ooANc
    Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dogs are so special and bring so much joy to our lives! I love girl days out! We had one this week with our girls. Many blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!