Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Frugal Friday Wrap Up 10/13/2023

 



~Jeff got a $2 an hour cost of living raise at work.  Yay!

~Jeff's bosses brought in a cooler full of various cuts of pork for the employees to take home.  Jeff got pork spare ribs and more bacon.  His bosses buy several hogs at the fair, and then share the meat with the employees at the 3 different store.  It is a very nice little bonus, for which we are very grateful!

~Josh is now in Kuwait.  I have been able to chat with him there and knowing that I can do that with him is helping to save my sanity.  I still a nervous about him being in that part of the world, especially now, but I have to trust God to protect him and all the others serving in that volatile area.

~Jeff got the front porch painted and it looks really good!

~Jeff also got most of the screws and silicone washers replaced on our metal roof.  Hopefully he can finish it this coming weekend.

~I made a really nice dinner of Elk roast (from Chris and Heather), potatoes from our garden, celery and seasonings.  I served it with a side salad and a cut up apple.  We ended up with some delicious leftovers too.

~Two loaves of bread were made and I gave one to Shannon.  I also gave her a zucchini from the garden.

~The pears from our trees are starting to ripen, so I have been picking them as they do.

~Sourdough crackers are quickly becoming a favorite around here, so I made another 2 batches and used my homemade Tuscan Herb seasoning salt to top them.  YUM!

~A nice cheesy lasagna was also on the menu this week.  It is definitely Fall weather now and I had everything on hand that I needed to make one of our favorite meals.  I even used some chopped spinach that I had previously grown in the garden, then blanched and froze, mixed into the cheese layers.  Hubby was very happy to come home to such comfort food.

~I'm still harvesting tomatoes, beans, squash and blackberries from the garden.

~Combining coupons and sales, we were able to get a 16 pack of toilet paper for $6.99.  I would say that is a good deal.

~I was finally able to facetime with my son Josh who is on deployment in the Middle East.  He is in one of the safest jobs and in a country with strong ties to the USA thank God!  They are still a target by the terrorists, but are in a better position than many others serving in the Middle East.  I asked him to give me a list of what he wanted and could not find there on base so I could send it to him.  His list consisted of Black Rifle brand coffee and Chick Fillet sauce.  :)

~Chris and Heather are going to butchering their chickens that have stopped laying eggs.  These are not "meat chickens", but will still be good for making soups and pot pies.  They are going to give us several of them.  I love making homemade chicken noodle soup and then freezing it so I have it on hand at all times.

~Friday I made 2 loaves of sandwich bread and another batch of the sourdough crackers.

~Heather and Chris dropped off 2 gift certificates for her homemade cinnamon rolls for the Ruck for the Fallen auction and our Christmas gift from my parents.  The gift my parents sent us was a gorgeous hand painted large round vase from Japan.  It was a gift to them from my father's former bosses from Japan.  Our Christmas gifts from my parents are now coming off the lists we all made for items we wanted from their home when they passed away.  They decided to give us the items as Christmas gifts so we can enjoy them now.

~Friday was our home "date night".  Jeff was in charge so he made us grilled cheese sandwiches and we watched the first of the Harry Potter movies.  It was a wonderful and relaxing way to spend our Friday night!






7 comments:

  1. No mother likes it when her child is serving in a war - I will pray for his safety. As a former military wife and mom, they are trained well, and know their objective. That's all you can hope for. We have a Israeli friend whose daughter was called up for the IDF.
    All you can do as a Mom, is keep busy and support them. Perhaps join a support group with other military moms - that is what I did during the Iraq war. It really helped to be with like-minded people who had the same concerns as I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debby and I thank you family for your service to our country. My brother served in the Iraq war as well and he bares the mental scars of it to this day. I am part of a support group and it does help.

      Delete
  2. Nice to see your post. Sounds like a busy but good week. Glad you could facetime with Josh.
    We've got three days of 90-something weather and then the temps are supposed to cool down. At least that's what the WeatherApp is saying.

    I too have done my first fall cooking - a pan of enchiladas. We have a 'free' zone by the mailboxes where people leave freebies. I got a bunch of corn tortillas and making enchiladas is my favorite use. Just easy bean cheese ones - not fancy but oh so good. Sending hugs and prayers - SJ now in California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow 90 weather! And here I am complaining about 75 here. We are expecting a cool down as well and I am very grateful for that.

      Your enchiladas sound really good. I have enchiladas on the menu here soon. Maybe I will try to do bean and cheese ones as well. Love you my friend!

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear that Jeff received a raise. That has to be helpful. Glad you got to speak with Josh. Sounds like you had a very good week, overall :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bless and I did! Try to stay cool with all the heat you have down your way.

      Delete
  4. I'm writing from Ohio, Columbus precisely. I was diagnosed with brain cancer in August of 2010 and my wife breast cancer, A precious friend (African American) told me about Dr Jekawo A traditional herbal doctor in West Africa,She gave me his contact number and email address,I contacted him quickly so he give me guaranty that his herbal medicine will cure my brain cancer,my wife breast cancer and herpes completely that we will be heal forever I said Okay.I ask him about the process for the cure,he ask me to pay for the herbal medicines preparation which i did and within 7 working days he sent me the herbal medicine then he instructed me on how to drink it for 21 days to cure.I told Eric my friend about the herbal medicine so he gave me go ahead to drink it.So after I and my wife drinking for 21 days we were cured completely, I'm so grateful and i promise i will recommend anyone with herpes or cancer to reach this great herbal doctor and that what i'm doing.
    Dr Jekawo told me he can cure the following disease.Cancer,Hiv/Aids,Herpes,Diabetes,Parkison,Copd,Hepatitis.. Here Is His Contact Info......[drjekawo@gmail.com] thank you so much for this great opportunity.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!