Friday, January 5, 2024

It has Finally Come to Fruition!

                 Come Celebrate with Us!!!! 



   After years of dreaming and planning, buckling down and paying off debt, we have finally been able to do it.  Jeff talked to his boss got the thumbs up from them and we filed the paperwork to get the ball rolling with Social Security.  Yes, Jeff is going to semi retire!  He will start part time at work on Monday! 😁


   I cannot even explain how happy this makes both him and I.  I can see a huge weight has been lifted off of him.  He has worked hard for 50 years and yes, he deserves to be able to relax a bit, pursue some hobbies and spend more time with our kids, grandkids and our extended family, along with our friends.


   In typical Jeff fashion, he has already made a list of things he wants to accomplish here at home before Spring hits.  At the top of that list is clearing out the garage and making that into a nice woodworking workshop.  He plans to build outdoor benches and chairs from wood pallets and sell them.  He would build them and I would paint them.  He has built them for us and for our kids who live near us and everyone who sees them comments on them.  I do think they would sell well.


   Of course I am beyond thrilled that I will have my best friend home with me more often.  To be perfectly honest, I desperately need help with keeping up on the house and garden (when it is gardening season) and I will need help with canning in the upcoming canning season.  I also really miss him when he is gone at work.  Yes, I also enjoy and need some "me time", and I will still get that.  


   We have already started a list of things we want to get accomplished, places we want to explore, and people that we want to go and visit.  I see many more camping trips, picnics, going to visit Josh, Lauren and the 2 youngest grands, spending time watching the 2 oldest grandsons playing baseball in the Spring, G-pa and Steven time during the Summer when Steven is here once a week, more grandson sleepovers,  and going to spend time with my parents and brother at the lake.  We are looking forward to more time spent BBQing and then spending Summer days having lunch and or dinner out on our screened in porch.  We will also be able to go for boat rides up the St. Joe River with Chris, and I think hubby might enjoy doing a ride along with him one day or evening at work. 


   So yes, we are continuing to buckle down financially and will be trying to live on just Jeff's part time work or his Social Security checks alone.  I know we can do it.  We have run the numbers and, with having all but one debt (which we will be paying off within 4 months) gone, it is possible to do this.  Our frugal ways have served and will continue to serve us well into retirement.  Oh I am so happy and so is Jeff!

21 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!!!! And Woo-Hoo!!! What an inspiration for others.
    --Elise

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~d here from the Kansas prairie. I'm sorry but for some reason I come across as anonymous and not d. Haven't been able to figure this one out. CONGRATS on this new phase of life. It will be wonderful. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats. Trust me he will be busier than ever!!!!!! That happens when you retire LOL. ENJOY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure he will! LOL....he has a list a mile long that he has made and of course I have my "honey do" list for him also. ;)

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! My hubby tells everyone "Retirement is great if you have worked and planned for it."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deloris. We have planned and been preparing for this for a long time.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations to you both on Jeff's semi-retirement! It really sounds like the best of all worlds. I love that he has wonderful plans in place, and I love that you will still get some "me" time. :^) :^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m very happy for you!
    My husband was able to retire a few years ago and it’s been great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rhonda and I am so glad your hubby was able to retire also.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations to the two of you! Well done. Paying off and then straying out of long term debt was key for me as well. By long term - I did have mortgage debt. And on my last car, I took out a 60month loan but paid it off in10months. Living simply and having long term goals helps too.
    Cheering you on, SJ now in Cali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SJ. You have done well my friend and I am so happy for you that you are living near your friends now. Hope puppy girl is doing well. :)

      Delete
    2. Puppygirl is a sassy two year old, thanks for asking. I think she's finally stopped growing but every now and then, I'm not sure. I've loved every stage but am really enjoying this one. It seems like we're finally (right time?) making progress with some training. Like walking politely on a leash without lunging at the local kitties. LOL
      SJ

      Delete
    3. Awww....I am so happy to hear this!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations! I've been retired for five years now and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One caution on when Jeff's first Social Security check will arrive. My birthday is March 23 so I applied for Social Security two months prior. My first check wasn't deposited until late May, as my last name begins with a letter toward the end of the alphabet and apparently there is also a month's delay. I had figured that it would arrive in April, but was mistaken. So be careful with your spending until that first check is deposited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing this. I am really hoping that his first check will arrive in February since we applied at the beginning of January. We are going to live on just his income from his job. We do have some savings put away to get us through.

      Delete
  10. Congratulations! That's an exciting milestone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! We are so happy and can't wait to have him home more.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!