Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Bike:1 Isaiah:0, Frugal Doings and Some Thoughts

 



      Bradley and Isaiah were supposed to spend Tuesday night with us.  A few hours before we were due to pick them up, Heather called to tell me she was on the way to the doctor with Isaiah who had a rather bad bike crash.  She thought he might have broken his arm right above his wrist.  A trip to the doctor and then to the hospital for x-rays showed that yes, he had indeed broken his wrist.  Thank goodness it was not on the growth plate.  Since it was not a really bad break, they splinted it and will see if it is healing well without a cast to begin with.  Last night Heather loosened the splint because it was bothering him and she was afraid he would have trouble sleeping.  This morning he apparently forgot that it had been loosened and promptly told his mom, and I quote "Mom, I can already feel my muscles atrophying because my splint is loose".  LOL!  Yes, his parents are both EMTs and the boys have grown up learning things right alongside their parents.  Bradly even had his own emergency medical kit and knows how to make a splint and use a torniquet.   Isaiah is in good spirits and the pain meds are working.  He told me yesterday that this was going to get him out of writing because of where the break is on his hand he writes with.  Silver linings and the bright side of things is what he has come away with, along with the broken arm.  Gotta love his take on life. 😁 


   Last Friday Steven spent the day with us and we made it all about him.  G-pa and Steven made paper airplanes and gliders, built with Legos and even made a paper chain lei for Preston, our oversized piggy bank.  We had to run a few errands and then stopped at McDonald's for lunch, where they also have a play area for the kids.  There is an Air Hockey table there, so Steven and G-pa played a game on that, both really enjoying themselves.  We hit a few more stores and Steven got some more treats before his mom met us to pick him up.  Having G-pa home when Steven is here on a weekday is new for Steven and he was soaking it all up!  It just filled my heart with so much joy to see the two of them having such a wonderful time together.  💖


   Now for some frugal doings:

~I bought some more heavier duty thin and tall Tupperware containers to store some of my baking supplies like powdered and brown sugar in.  They will take up less shelf space and keep things dry and fresh.

~I was lacking bigger containers to store soup, casseroles and such in the refrigerator.  Dollar Tree has some of their largest containers in stock.  They were going very quickly and I was so glad that I was able to grab one.

~I found a bag of Ball brand shaker snap lids that go on canning jars so you can use them for herbs, etc. to shake on things.  The whole bag cost m $1.99 at the thrift store.  Major score!

~Some other goodies I found at the thrift stores were 2 t-shirt that had some funny sayings on them (one will be going to Jaysn), a 5 pack of brand new and soft peach colored washcloths which I will be using in our bathroom and putting the older ones in the "clean up dirty messes" basket, a large glass jar with lid for storing pasta in, and some books.

~Since we are were on a no spend January that turned into a low spend January, I have been very careful about using up what we have on hand food wise.  Our grocery bills have been under $100 for the month and yet we have had some amazing meals.  I've been using things up from the freezer and pantry.

~Breads, crackers and baked good treats were all baked and enjoyed here at home.

~I finished up making a crocheted dishcloth out of cotton yarn.  It had been sitting there unfinished since before Christmas.  It felt good to finally just pick it up and within 15 minutes, have it done!

~We found and bought a new large print study/devotional Bible for Jeff at the used bookstore.  The one we had bought previously had been put out by the Jehovah's Witnesses and had some things in there that did not align with our beliefs.  

~I gave Jeff a haircut.

~Oh, I found a fun game called 5 Second Rule, that again, say it with me folks, I found at the thrift store.  I can't wait to play it with our family and friends.  We are having a Superbowl party at Jaysn and Rachel's and I will be bringing this game for us to play.

~While cleaning out things, we came across some items that we thought Heather might want, so we offer them to her.  She was delighted and took all but 1 item, which I will now sell.

~Jeff and I watched lots of movies on Paramount and Peacock.


   Now for some thoughts...I don't know about you but the illegal migrant situation is totally out of control  in my opinion.  Just this morning I saw a video of some attacking police officers in New York.  One of the men caught has several prior arrests for  assaults and robbery since coming in illegally to our country.  And here is the kicker, the court let him go...again!  Why was he not deported? This is a man who is also getting free housing, a phone, money, and being fed by our tax dollars.  This just infuriates me! We also have a known terrorist who waltzed across the border and made threats against our country.  How many others are also here?  How many gang members, drug and and human traffickers, how many sleeper cells that mean us harm are scattered across the country?  This is what happens when our laws are not allowed, by the powers that be, to be followed and our border control agents have their hands tied so to speak. It is a disaster and a dangerous situation to ALL Americans.  I know that I have to state this again, I am totally onboard with legal immigration, but not this!  And now we have a ongoing standoff in Texas between our federal government and Texas, along with 25 other states, and many, many fed up US citizens.  I just pray that this will not lead to violence and the implementation of martial law.  I do think that is what some in power really want though...continuing to destroy our country from within.  Sadly, I have lost trust in our government and  many individuals who have proven themselves to be liars, cheaters, and self-serving bigoted people who are only in government to get rich and who have no loyalty or love for our country.  They don't care about protecting us here or our military serving overseas.   And yes, I realize that by publicly stating my opinion, I am putting myself at risk of being on some list somewhere (if I am not already on one).  So be it.  



14 comments:

  1. Hoping Isaiah feels all better quickly. Nice that grandpa gets to be home when the boys come now.
    We have NO federal authority/govt. anymore. They are doing nothing to safeguard Americans. Prayers for TX.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl and I am in agreement with your opinion of our federal government. Just when I think they cannot get any worse, they do!

      Delete
  2. You go girl - I'm right there with you. From first hand experience, I know legal immigration is possible. It just takes work and money, imo. And, I am so thankful to be back in the land of my birth even with all the problems. My fear was things would go south and I'd be so far away from family and friends.
    My no/low spend month went ka-phooey Saturday night when I popped off a crown. The good news is my dentist is wonderful and got me in this morning. A temp is in place and, again, thankfully he could reseat the old one. But a new one is needed long term and the work is scheduled. I'm thankful for insurance and savings. And for skilled medical people.

    I hope Isaiah mends quickly and thank the Lord the break did not happen on that growth plate.
    cheers, SJ. now in California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so very sorry about your crown coming off. That is no fun! Thank goodness they were able to get you in and do a temporary fix for you.

      Thank you for the prayers for Isaiah. Knowing this kiddo, he will heal quickly and will try to use this injury to get out a some things in the process. ;)

      Delete
  3. I could have written your last paragraph myself. You are so right ,and it is so sad !. I just keep praying . Cindy/WV

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope Isaiah's arm heals quickly and a cast will not be needed. How lovely that Steven got to spend some time with Jeff! I hope you have a lovely rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bless. I hope that the rest of your week is lovely also.

      Delete
  5. I forgot to say that I agree wholeheartedly with your last paragraph. Practical Parsimony

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! Your poor son. Hopefully he did not/will not have any future breaks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is 56 now and that happened when he was 11. Seriously, it is a miracle he did not have more broken bones before this happened.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I live in NYC, and I know that conservative news is airing incendiary reports on migrants here. The rest of the country is always quick to talk about how bad NYC is - having said that, we definitely have an overflow of migrants, no doubt about it, and something has to be done. But many are sent to an adjacent neighborhood to me, and I promise you that for the most part they are orderly and non violent. Half the problem is that our horrible mayor likes to use them to try to get federal money. They must vacate the shelters every thirty days and reapply, or take a bus ticket to somewhere else. (this is at St Brigid's on East 7th street if you'd like to look it up) An organization that I volunteer for (evlovesnyc) has been feeding them, and everyone in the neighborhood is donating food, clothing, blankets, etc - please research this. One or two migrants that attack a police officer, etc is unacceptable, but in no way is it the hellscape that Fox News wants it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One more thing - most are asylum seekers. Seeking asylum is LEGAL and ratified in our Constitution - I'm certainly not saying we should allow everyone in but noone is opening doors that arent open by law. Illegal immigrants do not get benefits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where your getting your information.
      They are using taxpayer money to house,feed,clothe them.
      We have American citizens that need help .
      Our veterans are not being cared for.
      They have allowed twenty two million illegals to pour over our borders.
      Bringing diseases and crime with them. From attacking police officers in NY to raping children in Rhode Island.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!