Monday, October 17, 2022

Seventeen Cups of Onions are now in the Freezer




   I got a late start to the day, but I knew I still had to get my "to do" list done.  On the top of that list was processing most of the Walla Walla Sweet onions that I had grown and getting them cut up and frozen before they went bad.  We do love Walla Walla Sweet onions because they are milder in flavor, and we really enjoy that.


   The best place for me to do this is on the back porch.  Luckily the weather had been unseasonably warm, so I was able to be out there in my capris and a short-sleeved T-shirt.  My plan of "attack" was to have my big crate of onions on one chair where I could easily reach them and the "for the compost bin huge stainless-steel bowl on the chair to the left of me.  I also had another huge stainless-steel bowl on the table to put the diced onions in, a chopping board, knife and my onion cutter.





   The other two things I needed were my computer to watch videos of listen to podcasts to keep me from getting bored and a towel for my nose.  My nose always runs when I am chopping onions!  


   Well, I sliced and diced and ended up filling the stainless-steel bowl on table to the top!  I also cut up some of the sprouting greens.  The cut-up greens were about 1 1/2 cups worth but the onions themselves just astounded me with their amount.


   




    I bagged up the diced onions into 1 cup bags.  All in all, I ended up with 17 cups of diced up onions.  I loaded the smaller 1 cup bags into 2 gallon sized bags and took them out to the upright freezer.  In order to make room for them, I had to take a few things out.  I ended up taking out some chicken pot pie filling and a piecrust.  Those will be made into dinner tonight since I am now beyond sore.





   I am rather proud of myself for finally getting this done.  It has been on my list for 2 weeks now.  I know that those onions are going to come in handy when I need onions in a recipe.  Each cup equals about 1 onion, so that really makes it easy to just grab what I need.  My grandpa would be proud since I am "making hay while the sun still shines".😊

9 comments:

  1. Great expression, making hay! And congrats on the onion saga! I would need five towels based on how my eyes and nose run like crazy! But I love Walla Walla, next year I will buy a bunch and do what you did. Hilogene in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilogene! I found them really easy to grow here during the hot and dry summer.

      Delete
  2. Well done on getting all those onions cut and frozen! I've tried growing onions and garlic without much success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think they would grow well in your climate...hmmmm....

      Delete
  3. We did the same thing. With the cost of produce through the roof,every bit counts. We have frozen or canned most of the garden. It's a comfort knowing you have food ready for the winter season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you Savannah! it sure is a comfort.

      Delete
  4. Hopefully I'll remember to try growing onions next summer. It's definitely hot here.
    Today, I went to my friend's house where I'm helping with a Fall garden. I planted out 2 more 6-packs of lettuce and planted two kinds of garlic. Sticker shock at the garden nursery as a 2pack of seed garlic was $5.99! wow! I had not purchased seed garlic in years!. Got two kinds planted. Also harvested a nice bunch of kale and also swiss chard. As soon as I'm done here, I'll take the stalks off the swiss chard and dice them for the freezer. I use them instead of celery in recipes. And then I'll cook the greens for dinner tonight. YUM. It's nice to have produce from the garden. Cheers SJ now in California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea on thee swiss chard!

      Delete
    2. It's more a use what you got approach. Swiss chard grows like a weed for me -- both up north and ,as it turns out, here. I may have good results with celery but haven't wanted to devote garden space for an experiment. So chard it is! And I grow the Rainbow chard for that very reason - I love the very red, orange or yellow stalks. . Cheers, SJ

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!