Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Getting All the Medical Things Done

 



   I've been busy getting all the medical stuff done and scheduled.  Yesterday Jeff and I both had appointments with our doctor.  Since it is a small-town clinic, they schedule us back-to-back and just combine our appointments together.  Jeff had some x-rays done on his foot (luckily no break or fracture) and I had bloodwork, a mole check and some changes in medications and dosages.  My doctor also wants me to have my mammogram, a bone density scan and an echocardiogram, since he heard a slight heart murmur.  I have had one in the past due to rheumatic fever as a child.  He just wants to check and make sure I do not have a slight leak in a heart valve.  Gotta say, that did not make me feel very good.  Heart issues scare me.


   Today I got my mammogram and bone density appointments set one after the other, and they are looking out for the echocardiogram order to come through. They will try to get that done the same day while I am at the hospital for the other appointments.  I'm going to have it done on November 2nd.


   The reason for the wait until November is due to me adjusting to new medication and to new dosages on some that I am already on.  They may make me sleepier and/or dizzy until I get used to them.   I don't want to drive myself anywhere until I know that I can do it safely.  Jeff is going to try to get that day off by switching with someone else so that he can drive me there just in case I can't drive myself.  It will make me less nervous to have him with me anyway.


   Now I am just waiting on my bloodwork to see if I can get off one of my medications and to see if we have to make any adjustments on another.  I am praying I can get off one of my meds that has caused more weight gain.  I hate that I am so heavy and can't drop the weight even though I really don't eat that much.  My thyroid medication may need to be upped also.  We shall see.


   While at my appointment I asked the CNA if she had heard about any shortages at the hospital or the clinics.  She told me the hospital was in good shape and was still able to get everything they needed at the moment, BUT there was a shortage on certain childhood vaccines.  She has a baby and told me that she was very concerned about there not being the vaccines available that her child needed.  So, if your children need to have their booster shots or vaccines, you might want to call your doctor's office and find out if there is also a shortage in your area.


   Jeff and I both need to get our eyes checked again and should also go to the dentist.  Jeff has dental and vision coverage and I only have the vision part.  Jeff has horrible teeth, so he really needs to get in.  Luckily his old boss and good friend's son in law just started his practice as a dentist, so we will be going to him.  He was raised in the next town over from us, so he is a local boy and we want to support him.  We will have to wait though on doing some of these things until after we get the bills for my echocardiogram, bloodwork, bone density scan and Jeff's x-ray.  I have a feeling it is going to be an expensive next few months, medically speaking.


    With all that is going on in the world right now, IF you are able to, get those medical appointments done.  If you have a job, be thankful for it and know that things could change quickly at any time.  Get a copy of  your expected social security payments upon your retirement.  That is something that Jeff and I are working on too.  Depending on what my medical tests say, I may definitely qualify for disability in the near future.  Up until this point, it was one of those things that I put off because of the stress of fighting for it.  With my back the way it is, the bone density test may show WHY I am having so many issues.  


   So if you have read this rather long and boring post, thank you!  Sometimes I just need to get things out there you know?  It does get lonely at times being home all day with just me and the cats.  I do try to go over and visit with Uncle Bob a bit when he comes up to his house and I also try to spend time in my garden.  This past weekend, we had Bradley and Isaiah spend Saturday night with us and we went down to our town's Harvest Festival.  That was a lot of fun and it was nice to see so many people that I had not seen in years.  It also made me acutely aware of how many precious people we had lost or were in the process of losing due to age and illnesses.  A friend and I both remarked that now we are the older generation in this town for the most part.  I'm not sure I am ready for that responsibility.  I know the older generation really helped guide and teach us so many wonderful skills when we first moved here.  I hope I can do them proud and share what they taught me to another younger generation.  Anyway, I need to finish this off and give my back and neck a break from sitting up.  Be blessed all!

5 comments:

  1. Good for both of you to be on top of those 'maintenance' items. That's what I call my semi-annual trips to the dentist, opthamologist,et.al. But I have to admit to setting my dog up with her vet before I've found my new medical team here. My goal this week was to deal with a new driver's license and car registration. I got most done yesterday and should finish Friday. My car passed its smog test today. I was relieved.
    And yesterday, I notified SocSecurity of my new address. Yes --- go for the disability if you can. For me, it was a lot of paperwork and more a fight with the GP I was seeing when i got sick then the SocSecurity Administration.YMMV.. I've read that having a Fibro or CFS diagnosis is now recognized by them so maybe not as big a fight. And once on for two years, recipients are eligible for Medicare even if less then 65yo.
    Cheers, SJ now in California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for your car passing the smog test! Thank you for the encouragement. Pet your sweet doggo for me please!

      Delete
    2. Today I passed the written knowledge test. Turned in the needed documentation for the car and got my license plates. then came home and bought car insurance. Ever so slowly, I'm getting stuff done.***** I made a pitch for applying to disability but want to say, I so get it if that's just too much. Some days even taking a shower is too much for me. I know you get that. I've been in rest mode the rest of today and will only do the minimum tomorrow. I really want to go to church Sunday so that's what I have to focus on. Cheering you on...and puppygirl is closing in on 80#....cheers, SJ

      Delete
    3. ((((((((HUGS))))) my friend and I pray you were able to make it to church.

      Delete
  2. Thank you BLess, I am hoping for the same.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!