Friday, October 21, 2022

Frugal Friday Wrap Up 10/12/22


 


   It has been a busy week as far as getting all the frugal things done.  I already shared about the onions from the garden and preserving all of those.  That was so much work, and I was sore for 2 days afterwards.  I had Jeff bring home frozen pizzas from Safeway one of those nights because I would not even get the energy up to make us dinner.  To be perfectly honest, I am glad that we have rain today and are expecting a rain snow mix later tonight.  That means the gardening season is over and it is time to tackle the indoor projects and cuddle in for some much-needed rest as well.  So here is a peak at what all I have been up to this week in addition to the onions...




~I made another batch of Tuscan Herb Salt from the herbs in my garden.  I had made a batch a few weeks ago but needed more since I also give it out as gifts for Christmas.  

~I harvested the rest of the larger green tomatoes, as well as the ripe ones from the garden.  The green ones will ripen up inside the house.

~The celery was also harvested.  I apparently did something wrong because the stocks were spindly and tough.  I was able to salvage the leaves though and dehydrated them.  I can use them in soups, stews, casseroles, etc. or I can make celery salt with them.  Celery salt is easy...it's a 1 to 1 ratio of crushed celery leaves to salt.  You're Welcome. 😉

~I made a nice chicken pot pie with homemade chicken pot pie filling that I froze and a frozen pie crust.  Easy peesy!

~Another night I pulled frozen tamales out of the freezer and made some Spanish rice to go with it.  I also sliced up some pears from our garden for another side dish.

~The blackberries are slowing down, but I still managed to pick another gallon and put that away.  We are expecting a freeze tonight, so I think that was the end of the blackberries for the season.

~That Krab salad from the deli with the cheese is one of my favorites.  I made some here at home and it was so good!

~Shannon (hanai sister and neighbor) came over for a visit a few times this week.  It is so nice to have time with her.

~The last of the summer squash was harvested and made into a nice squash casserole. YUM!

~I moved the basil plant and the two potted up rosemary plants into the greenhouse.  I am hoping to extend their lives this way.

~Going through my smaller toiletries', I was able to find something for Shannon to take on her trip that will take up less space in her luggage.

~I did more seed saving.  I got some of my favorite tall marigold's seed saved.

~While having another panic attack, I discovered that going into my pantry and sitting there calms me.  I think it gives me a sense of security.  After I calmed down, I got busy putting things away and getting 15 pounds of rice into a food grade bucket.





   

   With Autumn upon us, I'm more ready than ever to just get cozy and relax.  I'll admit, I am still tired and needing rest both physically and mentally.  I have been pushing myself way too hard trying to get it all done and preserve everything I can from the garden.  My "spidy senses" are telling me that we are just at the beginning of some very hard times to come our way as not only a nation, but also as the world.  I know that it is a very real possibility that my husband could lose his job if people stop building houses in our area.  I'm trying to make sure we are prepared for that and that we could make it through until unemployment benefits kicked in.  Even with the benefits, things would be tight.  I wonder how many other people around me are feeling the same way and how many remain blissfully unaware of how fragile everything is?  Anyway, I'm going to try not to dwell on that and just look forward to having a nice weekend.  We are going to be having lunch with Rachel, Jaysn, Steven and Rachel's mom Joyce on Saturday.  It's Joyce's birthday so we are having a little birthday party for her.  I'm looking forward to that very much!  Be blessed all!




10 comments:

  1. It sounds like another blessed week. Have a nice weekend my friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl....I hope you have one as well. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. here is the link from the Elliot Homestead where I found the recipe. I omitted the red chili pepper flakes. https://theelliotthomestead.com/2020/08/homemade-flavored-salts/

      Delete
  3. Your garden has been so productive this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we really did have a good year overall!

      Delete
  4. I've been pushing hard here as well and crashing a lot more then my 'normal'. On the plus side -- I found a local distribution point for the USDA commodities program. I went for my first 'appointment' yesterday - here it's by appoointment and is a drive through..how Californian!! What a blessing. Thanks for talking about the program otherwise I wouldn't know to look for it. Sending hugs and prayers for fewer/no anxiety attacks. BTW, for most of my adult life, I've tried to live on an 'unemployment benefits' budget. It certainly has paid off over the years to keep me focused. Cheers, SJ now in California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SJ, you really need to pace yourself (says the woman who has still not learned to do that herself ;) ). I'm so glad you found the commodities program down there. Your prayers are greatly appreciated too.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I get things done slowly or in "bursts" of energy and then am out for the count for a bit. LOL!

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!