Thursday, April 21, 2022

Greenhouse Build and Other Things Gardening Related





   It has been busy around here and thus my absence from this blog and not responding to comments, although I do read and enjoy them...thank you!  😀  Please keep them coming!


   Jeff and my latest project has been building a greenhouse.  I have wanted one for so long and it is now becoming a reality.  I cannot tell you how happy this makes me!  Jeff has most of it framed up and brought home the rest of the materials to finish it off.  Hopefully that will happen on Sunday and I can get busy starting seedlings to put out in the garden when it is safe to do so.  I was telling Jeff that our Steven is going to think it is his own personal playhouse since he will be spending so much time here with me this Summer (or maybe sooner).  Being able to share that experience with one of my grandboys just makes my heart sing!  My plan is to get lots of seeds started so that I can maximize not only every space in my own garden, but to also share with my family and friends.  I am sure that having plants to put out in their own gardens will be a wonderful "gift" that I can share with others.


   Yesterday I was finally able to track down some seed potatoes, Walla Walla Sweet onion starts, along with some celery seeds to grow, and a rosemary plant.  I talked to one of the ladies that runs the nursery part of a local building supply and garden center and she gave me some interesting information.  She told me that their shipments of edible garden type plants are really delayed and that they have no idea if and when they will arrive and how strange that was.  She also told me that when the limited supply that they have gotten in so far arrives, that it is bought up quickly.  She is a younger woman, whom it appears has not been following the news much, so I filled her in on the reasons that all this is happening.  She seemed shocked and thanked me for the information.  


   Once I got home I got dinner started and then got busy getting my rosemary plant trimmed up since it had been hit by frost (it was discounted because of that but I knew all it needed was a trim on its tips and would be just fine).  After that, I got the onion starts into some water so the roots would not dry out and then got busy chitting the potatoes.  The potatoes I chose were called Montana Huckleberry Gold.  I chose these because they could tolerate the cooler weather so I can start them earlier and they were the kind that I did not need to peel to eat and made great mashed potatoes!  Yes, I do love mashed potatoes and I can also use them in soups and for roasting.  Plus, how could I not try growing  potatoes with such a cool name since Montana is my favorite place to vacation in?  Yes, I do have strange reasons for picking this particular variety of potato to try to grow, but hey, it is worth a try right?


   One of the things that I really needed to do was to figure out how to make my compost bin work faster, so I research that and found that I was not adding enough "brown materials" to it.  So one of my projects today is to rip up cardboard boxes into smaller pieces and add that to the bin, along with some old non glossy newspaper shreds.  I will get that all mixed in and we will then go from there.  I tell you, I am always trying to learn new things and how to improve my gardening skills.


   Anyway, I need to get going and get this day started, even if it is now a little after 12 noon.  I got a late start to the day and I am okay with that since yesterday was a busy day of running around for me trying to find all the plants, seeds, and doing some other shopping for food and picking up one of my prescriptions.  Usually Thursday is my day to relax and not do anything, but that is not something I can afford to do at the moment.  I need to work on things when my body allows (the constant weather changes are playing havoc with my fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome symptoms).  Be blessed all!


6 comments:

  1. How lovely have a greenhouse built for you! Sounds like you are getting ready to grow another great garden this spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the greenhouse. That will be fun. Our local greenhouse grows their own plants - so plenty here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looking forward to seeing pictures of your greenhouse.

    Interesting about the shortage of edible plants in the store.

    about your brown material for compost -- does shredded paper count? Know anyone with a shredder that you could get the paper from? just a thought.

    it's cold here. i'm itching to garden and it's not happening, except the rhubarb - it's thriving.
    cheers
    SJ in Vancouver BC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debbie - We were in Moscow, Idaho visiting our son and daughter-in-law last Monday. We have not been able to find seed potatoes in our part of the PNW. We stopped at Moscow Building Supply and found the russet potatoes we wanted to plant and some shallots. I saw the Montana Huckleberry Gold seed potatoes there also and they sounded very intriguing to try. I hope your garden grows very well! Blessings, Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend down the street and I have been moaning about wanting a greenhouse. But, we have no one to build us one, and neither of can help except to bring a glass of tea for a worker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This weather has not done me any favors either. I want a greenhouse so bad. I might have extra seed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!