Thursday, February 28, 2019

Lovely Surprises, Snow, Staying Put and Catching Up




   Time for a catch up post.  I have wanted to write a post for a few weeks now but kept being sidetracked and/or was in a crash/flare and did not have the energy to do so.  Such is life with me at the moment. 😉

   Last week I was so surprised and blessed to receive a box in the mail from someone who did not put a return address, name or anything on the box.  Inside it held a beautiful sconce for candles, a really pretty hook for hanging something from and a gorgeous bracelet.  I have been trying to find out who sent it and so far no luck.  I really want to thank them for thinking of me and blessing me.  It touched my heart so deeply.  If it was one of you that reads my blog, please let me know and thank you from the bottom of my heart!

   We have been hit with wave after wave of snowstorms and frigid temperatures.  The roads around us have been drifting badly and have been closed at various times.  Some of the schools have had to close, county offices have shut down, appointments have been cancelled, people have been snowed in and there have been multiple car accidents, including fatalities in our area.  Jeff's work even had him stay home one night and I am wishing they would have also called off last night as the roads were treacherous and the county sheriff along with the DOT was asking people to stay off the roads.  Poor guy had a heck of a night and then came home to have his car spin out on front of our driveway.  Luckily a neighbor came and helped him get the car into our very slick driveway and out of the road.  Jeff sprained his wrist at work so having to push the car by himself would have been nearly impossible.  I am so grateful to have neighbors that pitch in and look out for one another.

   I have been staying home for the most part unless I have to go to an appointment (and yes, I have cancelled them on bad days) or we have a break in the bad weather and I can get out to do some grocery shopping for essentials.  I also spent an afternoon/evening with Steven while his parents had an appointment to get their taxes done.  I was so thankful that they got home safely because the roads were horrific and scary.  We live in an area where snowdrifts come fast and can block roads very quickly.  I sadly had to miss a Ladies Family and Friends Brunch yet again and am praying for better weather and everyone being healthy so we can make it to Bradley's birthday party in a few weeks time.

   My Low Spend Challenge that I gave myself for the month of February has done really well.  I have stayed out of the thrift stores (Yay Me!!!) and we have only been buying essentials or things that are on rock bottom stock up prices.  The other day between mark downs, sales and even a coupon for a free product, I saved $40!  I only spent a little over $7 for grapes, spinach, seltzer water (helps with the Fibro and was free), 2 huge gift tins of popcorn and 3 packages of ham and turkey from the deli.  I have had Jeff pick up a few things here and there like bread when I am flaring and cannot get it made here at home and also some milk and fruit.  I've managed to save well over $100 on groceries which came in very handy since we had to replace a light fixture in our kitchen.

   Between the storms, spending time with the grandkids and delving back into some difficult things in counseling, it has taken a toll on me and caused lots of flares/crashes.  Time with the grandkids was planned for and yes, I would do that all over again...they are my heart and so worth it!  Weather greatly affects me and my pain and energy levels.  Dealing with the nightmares and the moments of reliving and realizations that come with counseling has really taken a toll on me but I know that I have to get through it and deal with it so that it hopefully will help me heal those parts of me and make me stronger and happier.  It's difficult and draining now, but it worth it in the end.

   I've been working hard on making my daily life as simple and calm as possible.  I'm giving myself "permission" to just go with the flow and really listen to what my body needs.  If I need to sleep until 10 or 11 a.m. because I have not been able to get to sleep until 4 in the morning, that is ok (unless I have an appointment that morning that I need to get to).  I have Jeff pick up bread and not feel guilty about it if I am unable to make bread due to pain and low energy.  I've been avoiding lots of social media and even email (because I am bombarded with so much crap there).  I do need to get better about email though because I have missed emails from friends and family  (sorry SJ).  There are days and even weeks when I don't get on my computer.  I have a big pile of books from the library to read along with some here at home that are mine.  All of them were picked with simplicity, beauty, and frugality in mind. 😉  Jeff and I have been enjoying watching shows on YouTube or Netflix that make us laugh, show us beauty or take us back to  simpler times.  Jeff has been on a James Bond movie kick lately which is fine because I enjoy those too.  So all is as well as it can be at the moment and I am taking the needed steps to make my life the best it can be.  I'm trying to continue to focus on the good while allowing myself the space to grieve when needed also.  It is a balancing act for sure, but the good is winning. 😊
Be blessed all!

   

   

   

   

11 comments:

  1. So good to catch up with you! It has been a crazy February here too with all the wild storms we've had! And no sign of letup in sight! I am glad that you are doing better with taking care of yourself, and listening to your body. The counseling sessions sound grueling, but will join in prayer with you believing that getting to the root cause of the issues will bring healing for you. So glad for your neighbors that helped your husband out, we are blessed with awesome neighbors here too, it really makes such a difference. Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marilyn! I hope you have been doing well. I have not been able to visit you on your blog lately.

      Delete
  2. Glad to see yo post. I do hope you are doing better.
    We all get to a point that we just have to get used to "new normal". Our bodies know what we need.
    Take care and stay safe and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missed you. Your grandsons are so cute. Do what works for you and don't worry about other people. The people that love you have your back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2nd time trying to comment. Sent you an email when my first try went into cyberspace.
    Nice to see you posting.
    SJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like it's been a rough winter for you, I'm so sorry....at least Spring is on the horizon, although we are also due a whopper of a storm this weekend, sigh. I'm tired of shoveling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is! Sorry you got hit with that storm!

      Delete
  6. Lovely post! Sweet gifts always sweetens the soul. It sounds like your weather there is similar to what we have been getting here. Today church was cancelled because of very low temps. Praying for Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela...lots of things around here have been cancelled due to weather also!

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!