Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Frugal Friday Wrap Up 3/3-3/9 2018

 
Some thrift store finds!


   Again, late with this post.  We had a wonderful Friday and Saturday celebrating our 33rd wedding anniversary! Saturday we were only able to do half of what we planned because of my limited energy and the pain in my back finally getting to be too overwhelming.  Both Sunday and Monday were spent recovering from having way too much fun and eating more than I usually do.  Even today, Tuesday, I am still in slug mode, but oh, it was so worth it! 😉 I wanted to thank everyone that took the time to comment and wish us well.  That was so sweet of you and it really touched my heart.  I have to admit to getting a bit teary eyed reading them today.  Onto the savings...

I have been looking all over for this book and finally found it at the Salvation Army thrift store.


~Saturday we went into town and had lunch at Subway.  They had some good specials and I was able to get a wrap, which cut way down on the carbs.
~A quick stop at Walmart surprised us with marked down Italian sausages.  We bought a package and I made them for dinner Sunday night along with some sweet potato fries.
~We also stopped at Goodwill where we found a toilet seat riser with grab bars.  Jeff got that installed with just one of the grab bars to make it easier to get on and off it in our small bathroom.
~We also found a Backgammon game, some Ziplock space bags, new left handed golf gloves for Jeff, and a pretty basket that is just the right size to fit our cloth napkins in but too small for the cats to fit in. 😉
~Jeff was able to borrow a truck from work to bring home another ton of pellets for our pellet stove.  He buys the pellets from his boss.  I am glad he put in the order a week ago because the supplier is now out of the red fir chips that he uses to make the pellets and does not know when he will be getting more.  It looks like there is going to be a huge shortage of pellets around here which means prices are going to go up too.

Roast Beef and Asparagus Roll Ups.

~Jeff tried to fix our old coffee maker that was brewing really slowly, but that did not work so we saved the carafe to donate, threw away the rest of it and then got our little 4 cup travel coffee maker out to use instead.
~After our trip to town, I was really tired and sore so we curled up in bed and watched 2 movies before going to sleep.
~Sunday was Bradley's birthday party and it was wonderful to see friends and family again!  After 2 hours though, I was again sore and tired so we came home and I got into my recliner until bed time.
~Monday I stayed home and worked on more laundry until I fell and hurt myself.
~Jeff headed in Monday morning to pick up some wood that was leftover from him building the stairs and redoing Jaysn and Rachel's back porch.  He thinks there is enough there to build most of our new front stairs with.
~He brought home Chinese food from the deli for us for lunch.  There was so much food that I had the second half of mine for dinner that night.

I loved this movie that we borrowed from the library.

~We got a refund check in the mail from our mortgage company.  We apparently overpaid by a little over $19 when we made our final payment.  Jeff cashed the check and that gave him some spending money to pick up coffee and things when he is driving for his job overnight.
~I caught up on some of my TV shows by watching them online.
~Jeff wanted some more bagels and I managed to find some in our freezer for him.  I also pulled out a big elk roast to start thawing.
~I borrowed the movie "Victoria and Abdul" from the library.
~Tuesday I printed off gift cards and some free item coupons.
~My phone was about out of minutes so I added a 60 minute phone card to it which tripled to 180 minutes. It also added text and data time.
~Our weather is warming up a bit, but I am still finding myself wearing a sweater or robe inside the house, along with house slippers, so I can keep the heat down.
~I had more Greek yogurt with a touch of agave and some fresh blueberries for breakfast.  Yummy, pretty, good for me and served in a glass fruit dish to make me feel special.
~Jeff picked up 2 bunches of bananas at .39 a pound on his way home from work.  This was the last day of the sale and we waited until today to get them since we still had a few left from our last shopping trip.

Squash casserole and leftover asparagus made for the perfect dinner.

~I had some tortillas and roast beef that needed to be used up so I made roast beef, cold grilled asparagus and cream cheese with onion and chives wraps for lunch. Oh my goodness was it ever good!  I served it with 2 tiny tangerines.  Who says you can't eat well on a budget?  That wrap would have cost at least $10 in a restaurant around here and I have never seen anyone use grilled asparagus in a wrap before.  I definitely will be doing it again however.
~Jeff and I watched the first episode of the current season of Survivor online
~Wednesday was another flare day so I did not get much done other than making my favorite squash casserole.
~Jeff and I hot tubbed and it felt really good!
~Thursday I was again dragging.  I did not sleep well and was having quite a bit of muscle stiffness and pain.  I did get 2 loaves of bread made and went over to take care of our neighbor's fur babies for her.
~We had leftovers for dinner.
~Jeff ran some errands in the town he had his bowling league in.

$2 for each of these seasons...what a deal!

~Friday was our 33rd Wedding anniversary and Jeff took the night off to spend it with me.  I just thought that was so sweet.  We agreed not to buy each other gifts ahead of time and to instead spend time together and see what the weekend brought.  The best present I could give him though was me feeling better and actually having some energy despite not sleeping well again on Thursday night.
~I got some coupons from Bath and Body Works in the mail.
~Jeff and I went out to an early dinner and then hit the Salvation Army thrift store.  I found some new puzzles,  Season 4 and 5 of a BBC series that I love ($2 each), Jeff found some pants and I found a shirt.
~We stopped at the Dollar Tree and picked up 4 bottles of laundry detergent.
~Jeff and I both could not finish our dinner from the restaurant so we brought the leftovers home and had them later that night.
~Shopko had some of their big totes on sale so we bought 5 of them to help organize this house.

These were $1 each at Dollar Tree.  I usually make my own laundry detergent but I think this actually came out to be cheaper.



   Our weather is finally starting to get better and it has helped with the pain, especially in my legs.  The cold just does a number on them so this is amazing.  I was even able to open up the sliding glass door to the porch yesterday, air out the house and enjoy the 68F temperatures.  Some of my crocuses are even up and blooming now!



14 comments:

  1. Wow, you had quite the week! We’re still in the 20’s with too much snow. I can’t wait til we get into the 60’s!
    I hope this next week has you feeling better and more rested!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie. I hope your snow goes away soon!

      Delete
  2. The book looks interesting. You will have to let everyone know if it's as good as it looks! It sounds like you had a good week, even though there were some times when you didn't feel so well. I hope the rest of the week is good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky, I am looking forward to reading it. :) It has been an up and down week for me, depending on what this weather brings.

      Delete
  3. What a week! Great finds at the thrift store. Buying dvds at the thrift is one of my favorite things! And i love that rollup you made with the asparagus. I need to remember that.

    I've been enjoying dvds from the library - being inspired by you I might add. I'm also watching some of the BBC shows as well - Endeavour and Father Brown.

    Dog had a vet appointment that went well. The physical exam was excellent in fact. Got the lab results back yesterday - not as great but not horrible. The vet wants to watch a couple of things and retest in a month.
    Did a little more weeding yesterday here at the apartment before the rains came back late yesterday. My space here at the apartment is now about 8ft X 10 ft. I'm trying to figure out how and what to plant the area.
    Take good care of yourself.
    SJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love Father Brown! Praying for your sweet fur baby. Have you thought about doing some trellises to grow things up off the ground so you can fit more in?

      Be blessed!

      Delete
  4. I will say this to you because people say this to me, for an old sick lady you sure get around:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That just made me giggle! I have an excellent chaufer that takes me everywhere I want to go. ;)

      Delete
  5. Happy anniversary, again, Debbie! So glad you managed to have such a frugal week with lots of frugal fun and special goodies! Even with health issues bothering you, you manage to make the best of things, every week. Hope it warms up soon, so that the latest load of pellets last you a long time. Hope you have another good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend! I hope it warms up here soon too. Looks like more rain is on the way. I am thankful for a warm home, fur babies who curl up in my lap and my loving family.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a wonderful week. I hope you feel better after your fall. My sister lives in Washington State she seems to like it there. Happy Late Anniversary! Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Washington state is such a diverse state with so much to offer. We live over on the east side near the Idaho border.

      Delete
  7. So appreciate your prayers.
    I've thought about using some trellises but this garden is in front of my neighbor's windows and I'm being cautious about not growing anything too tall to block their light. They are not gardeners so I'm working hard to make my little plot as pretty as possible. And keeping everything low to the ground. I will use tomato cages but only a few.
    Hope you have good day.
    SJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such a wonderful neighbor to think about your neighbors and not want to chance blocking their light. :) I'm sure they will really appreciate that and you!

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!