Thursday, May 23, 2013

Really Living in the Moment



   Yesterday I spent part of the morning with Bradley while his Mommy went to have a check up to see how the newest little one (due in late July) is doing.  It was a cold and wet day so we met at a McDonald's with a play area so that Bradley could have some fun and run off some energy.  I bought us a strawberry/banana smoothie to share and then we were off to play.
   Bradley was very excited to be there and was taking it all in while still making sure that I was close.  He would venture off a bit and then come running back to and wrap his arms around my legs to give me a hug and get some reassurance and then he was off again. :)  As he gained more confidence, he started to run around and chased the other kids all the while giggling to himself.  He then started climbing up on things and wanting to jump off so I would hold his hands while he did so...this went on for about 10 minutes straight.  Then he spotted the car, the bright red and glorious car that he could crawl in to and drive!  He made sure that I was right there with him to begin with and would drive and then come to me for a hug.  Finally, Mr. Independence decided he could be a big boy and do it by himself but kept an eye on me through the windshield.  He was so funny, he would smile and wave and then blow me kisses (after I told him not to lick the windshield)!  
   I had made a decision before we got there to just live in the moment and take it all in.  I focused on his smile, his expressions and his sheer delight in getting to run and play.  Looking back I realize just how much I would have missed out on if I had not made the conscious decision beforehand to really and fully live in the moment.  How many times do we miss out on those special little things because we are so distracted by everything else around us?  As a young mother I was overwhelmed with having 3 small children within a 22 month span.  I missed out on so many special moments because I was just so busy and tired.  As a grandmother, I now have the time and ability to just take it all in and enjoy my grandson.  I chose to also live in the moment when my son Josh and DIL Jess were recently home on a visit and we had all the kids here along with my parents.  I knew that those times were precious and few and far between so I put other things aside and focused on just taking it all in and enjoying my family.  I am going to make an effort to really live in the moment more often and make more treasured memories.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!