Monday, October 25, 2021

Frugal Friday Wrap Up 10/22/21

 



   I forgot to do my daily documentation yet again so here is a list of the things that I can remember.  I'm sure that many things will be left off because I am in a bad fibro flare today and am just doing the best I can to try to go back in time in my memory, which we all know is not the greatest even on the best of days.  LOL!


~Jeff and I gave each other haircuts.

~I had a TeleMed appointment with my doctor and we decided to up my pregabalin prescription to see if I can get even better results.  It has helped a bit and we are hoping it will help even more at a higher dose.

~Jeff and I took a trip down to Walla Walla last Saturday and stopped at 2 thrift stores.  I found some beautiful brand new sweaters that someone must have bought via QVC and then donated.  I found many new items from QVC there with tags still attached.  I also found some books and some BBQ tools there.

~We stopped to have lunch at a taco truck down there near the edge of town (away from the touristy area) that had many local and Hispanic people eating there.  Oh my goodness, it was amazing and the prices were really reasonable too.  I tend to look for places that locals go to rather than more tourist oriented places.

~Having talked about eating out, the rest of our meals were prepared here at home.  I made teriyaki chicken bowls, a taco and noodle casserole (I know, sounds strange, but it was good), potato cheese soup, did breakfast for dinner one night and made tomato gravy with tomatoes from our garden.  The homemade biscuits were also a huge hit with hubby and I made sure to make a double batch of those.

~The tomatoes and cantaloupe I harvested earlier from the garden are all ripening slowly and we have been enjoying them.

~I did spend some more money on groceries, but I stayed at $8 total and I got a lot of things for that amount including more sweet potatoes. Gotta love Grocery Outlet for their deals there.

~Chris called to let us know that they are giving us a whole deer's worth of meat in mid November.  They have 4 tags to fill so they are spreading the joy in the family, giving us, along with Jaysn and Rachel, a deer each.  Heather already got a large elk so between that and the other 2 deer they can harvest, they will have plenty of meat for their family and to share with their friends.  We will be set for the entire year and beyond!  We are so blessed!

~I collected parsley seeds from our plants.  I was able to get so much and will be sharing them with the kids for their gardens in the Spring.

~There was a major frugal fail as well.  I had planned on bringing my rosemary plant in the house over the Winter so I could have fresh rosemary on hand.  I quickly discovered however that Patchy cat goes after it like it's catnip!  I need to just plant in in the garden and pray it makes it I suppose.  It is currently in a pot and I know it will not survive in that over the Winter.

~I talked to my friend/neighbor/hanai sister and she and her daughter are going to housesit for us over Thanksgiving when we go to visit family. It is wonderful to be able to help each other out.

~Rummaging through the refrigerator, I found some cooked bacon from earlier in the week.  I made a BLT sandwich for lunch with 3 of the bacon strips and will crumble the rest up for a topping on the potato cheese soup.

~Here is something that may sound strange, but actually helps calm me.  I have been watching the live feeds of the volcano eruption on La Palma in the Canary Isles.  Maybe it harkens back to my childhood when we would go and watch Kilauea erupt and falling asleep watching it from the safety of my hotel room overlooking the caldera.

~It has been great fun rediscovering all my favorite cold weather clothing and being able to snuggle up in them again.  It's now leggings, soft long sleeved shirts, jackets and sweaters weather again. Oh and let's not forget the soft fuzzy house slippers and socks either.

~We had Jaysn, Rachel and Steven come over for dinner of Friday.  Even when I'm in a fibro flare, there is no greater joy than having my family come for a visit and getting to spend time with them.  It's the best "medicine" for my soul and just lifts my spirits way up there!

~I called my mom on a rainy and gray day and we had a wonderful visit and made plans for our time over there with them next month.  I may be in my late 50's, but I still need those precious chats with my mom. Since I have a flat rate on my cell phone, I can make as many calls as I want each month.

~I made a double batch of chocolate chip muffins.









   I know I am a few days late in posting again.  We had a busy weekend helping my cousin and getting some things done around the house.  Today I am "foggy" and out of it, but I am taking things slowly and still getting a few things done around the house. Praying for all my friends and family dealing with these storms.
















7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift that meat will be. My goodness that is a blessing. I am happy for you.
    Those biscuits look wonderful.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl and yes, it is a huge blessing! I can't believe how high the price of meat has gone. We will help them butcher, grind and wrap it. I always buy lots of extra zip lock bags and freezer paper when we do this kind of thing and leave all the extras with them. The biscuit recipe is from an old farm cooking cookbook and has been my "go to" for biscuits for years now.

      Delete
  2. Fortunately the huge storm predicted for the weekend missed my neighborhood. Still lots of rain and some wind.

    I had a rosemary bush at my old house. It was quite happy snuggled up to the house foundation on one side and the cement stairs on the other. I hope yours does as well.

    Sorry to hear you're in a flare. Sending hugs and prayers.
    SJ in Vancouver BC Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to hear that SJ! I was worried about you! (((((HUGS))))) I still have to get that rosemary plant in the ground. Maybe tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. Those biscuits do look wonderful - do you have a recipe you'd be willing to share? I have to admit I've never made biscuits from scratch!

    What a blessing to be getting all that deer meat! Especially with meat prices being so high! I have more or less stopped buying beef as a result of higher prices!
    It's raining down here, but, a slow rain, not the downpour they received in northern California. I'm thankful for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BLess, I would be happy to share the recipe in a separate post for you. :) YOu have been on my heart and mind with that storm and I was praying it would not cause you any damage at your home. ((((HUGS))))

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Debbie. I tried my hand at making drop biscuits, today, after I saw your photo! They turned out quite well for a first try, I thought. But, I'm waiting for your recipe, too, as they look really delicious!

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!