Monday, August 14, 2023

I'm Melting and Still Trying to Maintain My Frugal Ways

 



    You see the picture above?  Well I just took it on my back porch in the shade with the blinds down to block out some of the heat.  It is not even to the hottest part of the day yet.  We are under a heat advisory for the next 4 days or so.  I think we may break some records this week.  Me, I am just trying to make it through and stay cool.  I have the swamp cooler on and my guess is that we will have to keep it running nonstop for the next 4 days.  I do not want a repeat of last year when I got heatstroke.  Nope, not doing that again!  


   Despite the heat, I am still trying to maintain my frugal ways.  Last night Jeff grilled up 6 large elk burgers, some marinated squash slices and I made a large batch of blue (yes, the potatoes are blue) potato salad.  All were yummy and we have lots of leftovers (as was the plan).  I needed more bread, so I baked 2 more loaves.  Sandwiches are on the menu this week and chicken salad will be made after I finish this post.  I need to cut up some lettuce and have that ready for a taco salad (I already have the taco meat cooked and in the freezer, and lots of tomatoes from the garden).  


   Other frugal doings are as follows:

~I "hunted" through the Walmart freezer section and found some amazing deals on apple juice concentrate (.31 each), frozen mixed veggies (.87 each and I bought 5 bags), frozen cauliflower (.69) and a few other items.  I dehydrated all of the frozen mixed veggies upon returning home from the store.

~I am currently wearing a very soft cotton dress that I bought at Goodwill awhile back.  It is very cool and comfy...just what I need in this heat.  Upon putting it on, I realized that there was some pilling on it right where a crossbody purse would have rubbed.  I got out my husband's razor (shhhh...don't tell him) and shave off the "pills".  It looks and feels brand new now.

~I made some more of my favorite squash casserole and that fed me for 4 meals.

~One night earlier this week, I cooked up some boneless, skinless chicken thighs in a teriyaki sauce that I added pineapple chunks to along with some of the light syrup from the can.  It made for an even lovelier sauce and I served it over rice.  I still have some leftover rice to use up now.  That will be an easy thing to add something over the top of it.  My idea of convenience food.  Having been raised in Hawaii, rice is a staple food group there and something that I can totally relate to.

~Our Summer apple tree is beginning to give us ripe apples.  I cooked up a batch of homemade applesauce in my largest crockpot and it made 12 cups of applesauce that were divided into 2 cup portions.  Some was frozen, some was shared with a dear friend and some is ready for Jeff and I to have this week.  I freeze it in 2 cup portions because that is what my favorite recipes call for and it is the perfect amount for a side dish or dessert for Jeff and I to share.

~I planted out the rest of the tomatoes from the greenhouse into the one of the dug up raised potato beds.  I know you are not supposed to plant tomatoes where your potatoes have grown, but my potatoes were disease free, so I am going to risk it.

~Jeff and I have been watering the gardens in the evenings when things cool down a bit.  We don't want the plants to burn and we want the water to be able to soak in.  I need to check tonight and see if we will need to rig up some shade over the beans.  I am worried about them burning in the hot sun.  Luckily, we have some leftover shade cloth and lots of light-colored sheets that we can use.


   Now for the heartbreaking news...the fires on Maui.  I, as many others, watched in horror as things unfolded and when I saw some of the videos of people trying to escape the flames.  It touched me deeply and I wondered if my friends there made it out safely.  As far as I know at this point, they did, but some family members of friends of mine remain missing and many lost their homes.  It brings me to tears to think of the trauma that theses precious people went through, and the lucky ones who are still alive, will live with for the rest of their lives.  The people of Lahaina lost loved ones, their homes, businesses and fur babies.  The Hawaiian culture is a close knit one where your neighbors become part of your hanai (adopted by love) family.  They have been displaced and I fear will now be preyed upon by unscrupulous people who will swoop in to try and buy their land where their homes once stood at low ball prices.  Given the desperation and state of mind some of the fire victims find themselves in, they may accept offers and once they can again take a breath and think clearly, regret it.  There is already a grassroots movement in Hawaii urging people NOT to sell their properties in Lahaina.  Please pray for all the people who have been touched by this tragedy and for healing and provision to come.  Thank you.


   



10 comments:

  1. Stay safe in this heat. The most challenging thing for me right now is to stay hydrated. And, I already shared about my afternoon nap. And follow that with a shower and only towel dry my hair. I had to smile about your comfy dress -- my new wardrobe is a cami-soft cotton top (with a tshirt staged by the front door in case of visitors ) and very baggy shorts. No one needs to see me in a tank. LOL...

    We too have four days of triple digit heat with a 'cool off' to 99 on Friday.
    I love your meal plan. I got ready for this heat wave by cooking pasta yesterday so I could easily reheat it. And of course, sandwiches and lots of fruit.
    Hugs and prayers,
    SJ now in California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to laugh at your trick of keeping a t shirt near the door. I keep my aprons close by so I can throw one on and people will just think I have been cleaning or cooking. Little do they know that I refuse to wear a bra in this heat.

      Praying that you can stay cool also.

      Delete
  2. Stay cool and healthy! Light meals and lots of fluids!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying! :) It's the remembering to stay hydrated that is something that I am not very good at.

      Delete
  3. Stay cool and keep hydrated. Take it easy when it is so hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am taking today off from doing anything because we have had too many hot days and the nights are not cooling off that much either.

      Delete
  4. I have missed you, but then I have missed myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have missed you too! Praying the smoke that came in quickly today is not affecting you all down in the valley. It is so thick up here.

      Delete
  5. Just an update. The storm predicted to hit SoCal is no where near me. I'm technically in the central valley and not SoCal. We're having a lovely tiny drizzle of wetness falling as I type. Having lived in the PNW for so long I'm hard pressed to call this rain. And the temp is a lovely 82. The doors are open and puppygirl is sleeping by the front door. Take good care. SJ now in California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you are not going to be negatively affected by this storm and that you are getting a much needed break from the heat. We are socked in by all the smoke from the fires up this way.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!