Friday, June 16, 2023

Two HUGE Bags of Spinach and Camping Trip

 




   We took a family camping trip last weekend down at a campground on the shores of a dam.  It's about a 1 1/2 hour drive from our home and is just lovely!  Heather had booked us 2 campsites right across from each other.  She and Chris put us up in their tent trailer in the shadiest spot and we parked the boat there too.  The other site was a corner spot and had nice areas for tents (we set up two large ones for sleeping and 1 screened in shade tent).  We also had a nice large area around the firepit too.  We got there on Friday afternoon and had time for some of the family to get out and do some fishing.  The rest of us, except for Jeff (he took a much needed nap), all went kayaking and swimming.  All was going well until a snake came swimming by and then I was out of the water!  That was followed by a thunderstorm and a rather stern reminder to my Steven that I was in charge and yes, he was going to get out of the water and follow me up to the truck.  I had to tell him what could happen to him from the lightening and then he high tailed it up with me.


   Saturday morning I got up early with Chris and he and I went out fishing, just the two of us.  It was a free fishing day in Idaho, so I did not have to buy a license.  I caught one fish, while Chris was pulling them in right and left. 😖  It was all good though because the scenery was breathtaking, I practiced my rather rusty casting skills, and spending one on one time with my son Chris was priceless.   The remainder of the day was spent playing with the grandkids, taking a nap and roasting sausages and hot dogs over the fire, followed by a second round of making s'mores.  We all hated to have to pack up and leave on Sunday, but it was an amazing and much needed time away from the "world" and electronic devices (other than Steven's tablet which they brought to keep him amused on the trip down and back).  It was so much so, that we are planning to do another camping trip here soon closer to home. 😊


   Now, for a side note...on the way down to our camp site, we stopped to get gas in a little town and the library was having a plant sale.  I found both large comfrey and lemon balm plants, so I bought them and they sat outside the tent trailer, right next to the solar light stake that I had set up next to the tent trailer steps.  Well wouldn't you know it, I found an FFA plant sale in the little town where Chris and Heather used to live.  They were having a 50% off sale and I found some ornamental plants there that were just lovely, including a nice hanging basket.  My kids just laughed at me for buying plants on the way to the camping trip but didn't blink an eye when I told them I bought more on the way home.  Yes, I am a bit plant crazy!


    When we arrived home we found 3 cats who desperately wanted out attention despite being spoiled rotten by Shannon while we were gone for 3 days.  They were underfoot the whole time while we got things unloaded and put away.  I noticed that our spinach was starting to go to bolt, so I made a mental note to get it picked Monday.  I was way too exhausted to try to do it Sunday evening.  Both Jeff and I were in bed by 7 p.m. that night.


   Monday came and I was busy doing multiple loads of laundry and later finally got around to picking all the spinach.  I ended up with 2 huge grocery bags full after doing all the washing and patting the leaves dry.  Jeff worked on doing weeding while I finished that and did some watering.


   Tuesday was a crash day for me, so not much got done at all.


   Wednesday, Jeff got the kitchen all cleaned up.  The dishwasher is not fixed yet, and I do not know when it will  be.  Handwashing is not Jeff's favorite thing to do, but he did it while I worked on cutting up 3 1/2 pounds of strawberries and getting them tossed with some sugar.  I'm still debating on if I want to make them into jam or freeze them in smaller containers to use over pancakes, waffles and strawberry shortcake.  I guess I should decide that tonight and get whatever it is done.

 

  Today, Thursday, I did more laundry, spent some time weeding,  and explored our town's little convenience store, which also has booths for people who want to rent them out to sell things.  I had a nice chat with Heather, and got some money out of the bank to have on hand here and also advised her to do the same.  I then got a spinach and cheese lasagna all made and popped it in the oven.  Oh my goodness, our house if smelling divine!


   I had better get this post finished.  I have Steven here on Friday and I need all my energy to keep up with him. :)  I love having him here and it is something that I look forward to every Friday during the Summer months.





   

5 comments:

  1. So glad you got to have such a nice family time together. I miss camping - NOT snakes - but camping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, I think you need to go camping with friends or family. It was wonderful to unplug and just enjoy nature and our family. :)

      Delete
  2. So happy to read all about your adventures camping and just life. When I lived in Seattle, I had a group of friends who camped together as much as we could.Mostly the state parks on the west side. One of my dreams is to get another very small camper or even tent trailer. I had one years ago that I had to get rid of because I couldn't afford the storage fee.

    Life is good here. The back yard is slowly coming together -- gravel is down, some parts of the patio have been cleaned up and one wall painted. Slow and steady wins the race.

    I too love plants and there is a very active FFA chapter here as well. Looking forward to their next plant sale when I have a place to put the plants!
    cheering you on from the Central valley.
    SJ now in California

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful week, with camping with the family, new plants for the garden, and a bountiful spinach harvest! Hope you are having a lovely weekend this weekend, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!