Friday, November 9, 2012

Frugal Friday Soup




   One of my favorite things to make on cold days is homemade soup.  There is just something so comforting about a steaming bowl of soup that warms and nourishes not only your body but your soul and warms you up from the inside out.
   Last night I made a venison roast in a red wine and Montreal Steak Seasonings marinade.  Today the leftovers of that roast, along with the marinade were transformed into a lovely soup.  This is one of those "throw together whatever sounds good" kind of soups.  Today I started with beef broth and added a package of frozen vegetables that had been sitting in the freezer for awhile.  Once that was boiling about 2 cups of quick cooking barley were added to the mix.  While that simmered away I added the broth from the roast and then cut up the leftover roast into smaller cubes and added that to the mix.  After taste testing, I realized it needed something else so I added half of a leftover diced beefsteak tomato. All this simmered away for an additional 10 minutes and lunch was ready.
   I love meals like this.  Since I made a large pot full, some will be eaten today and the rest will be divided up into meal sized portions for 2 and added to my "frozen soup basket" that I keep in the freezer.  I love having a variety of homemade frozen soups on hand at all times.  At the moment I have homemade chicken and turkey noodle, split pea and a hamburger vegetable soup in there so this will be an nice addition and provide more choices for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!