Monday, May 1, 2017

Frugal Friday Wrap Up 4/22-4/28 2017

   



   Sorry it took me so long to get this post up.  This weekend was a busy one for us with lots going on.  I also had a huge fibro flare on Sunday and took to my bed for the afternoon after we got back from a Memorial Bowling Tournament and Fundraiser.  Onto the savings!


~Saturday I finally got 2 kinds of cucumbers, 2 kinds of peppers, and yellow squash started in small pots.  I also got the geraniums potted up and they are looking very pretty out on the front porch landing.
~Jeff and I made taco salads for dinner.
~I pulled some treats out of the freezer for Jeff and I to enjoy.
~Jeff pulled more parts off his old car and installed some of them on his new car.
~The kale is coming back in the side garden.  Yay...one less thing to plant. 😁
~I transplanted two volunteer Italian Prune Plum trees (our neighbors have these trees and birds have brought some of the fruit into our yard, thus the volunteer trees) to another area of our yard where they can grow and spread.
~Jeff used 2 sawhorses and nailed some boards to it to make a temporary fence to keep Caesar from destroying the transplanted trees until I can get some welded wire fencing up around them.
~Finally, after a call to our trusted mechanic, Jeff was able to override the anti theft program that he triggered after replacing the key/ignition thingy on his car.  That saved us having to tow the car over there and have our mechanic try to figure it out.  Jeff and I are going to surprise him and his crew with homemade banana bread or buy them a dozen doughnuts as a thank you!
~Monday we trimmed back all the rose bushes and transplanted a hydrangea bush that was getting crowded out by the roses.  We hope it likes it's new spot better.  I out the used coffee grounds from this morning's coffee in the planting hole since it is an acid loving plant.
~I made croutons on Tuesday with last week's leftover bread.  They we still soft in the middle after their time in the oven and I did not want them to burn if I left them in the oven longer.  I zapped them in the microwave for about 45 seconds-60 seconds and that dried them out and made them crispy without burning them.
~Jeff had a bowling league party this week so I made 3 loaves of banana bread for him to take and share at that.
~Two more loaves of my regular bread were made.
~I have lots of extra squash and cucumber seeds after getting my seeds planted in starter pots.  I will be sharing the rest of the seeds with our Heather since they are starting a small raised bed garden this year.


~Dinner Tuesday night was inspired by some leftover taco meat I had in the fridge.  I cooked up a package of mac and cheese from the pantry, added the leftover taco meat, a can of dice tomatoes and some mozzarella that needed used up ASAP.  It was filling, fairly quick to make and oh so good.
~I borrowed another book and movie from the library.
~More free samples and magazines came in the mail.
~Wednesday evening Jeff and I took a long walk around town.  It was nice to get out and walk again.  We met a super sweet young man who our Caesar took an immediate liking to.  Caesar is very cautious about new adults so I knew that this was a really nice guy if Caesar liked him so quickly.
~I pulled some Zuppa Toscana out of the freezer for dinner Thursday.
~Do you ever crave comfort food on cold days?  I sure did on Wednesday so I made a pan of cornbread.  I had not made it in years.  Boy was it good!
~One of our local grocery stores has 2 pound blocks of cheddar cheese for $3.99 each,  Jeff picked up 2 blocks for us on his way home from work Wednesday morning which was the first day of the sale.


~Our volunteer day was this Thursday and we were given so many wonderful groceries including chicken, frozen fish, eggs, bread, cereals, canned goods, juice, etc.
~Our local power company set up shop where we volunteer and were giving out all kinds of energy saving items.  We got free light bulbs, thermometers and a few other items.
~Friday I cooked up a whole batch of catfish that we were given.  YUM!
~My Walmart Beauty box came in!
~I bought 8 tomato plants from the FFA plant sale for $10.
~I sold our elliptical trainer for $20 to a friend.

   I think we did really well this week.  I am on a mission to find a way to bring in a bit more income here and have been finding a few things to sell.  I'll share more about that in another post. ;)   Be blessed!






8 comments:

  1. Sorry you had to deal with a fibro flare-up. I get it. I took the dog to the vet on Wednesday which meant the next three days were on the crummy side. Including one night with night sweats. But I can't not live my life and give in or give up.

    Your Tex-mex mac& cheese looks good. Funny - the store was having a big sale on KD so I bought the 8-pack! Now I know another way to make it, thanks.

    Saw your other post about your son going to the hockey game. That's so great! I've been enjoying the playoffs on tv - at least the early games.
    Don't mind at all that you're 'late' posting this. I'm just so happy that you do this post! Cheers, SJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there my friend! YOu are so sweet. :) I'm so sorry you had to deal with feeling crummy and those nasty night sweats. They are terrible!

      You are welcome on the Tex Mex mac and cheese. It was one of those throw together because it sounds good kinds of things. ;)

      Praying you have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  2. You had a fabulous week! Lots of money savings going on at your house. Take care and be well Debbie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am doing better now and was able to get out and work in the garden today. That always makes me happy. :) Be blessed!

      Delete
  3. Hope you are feeling better, Debbie. You got a great deal on those tomato plants! Now you have me craving mac and cheese with ground beef - it's one of my favorite ways to eat it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) You should make some Bless. It is really good and such comfort food! :)

      Delete
  4. Glad you had such a productive week! We've been doing a lot of work outside too and it is exciting! I had some kale come back up this year too :) Sorry about your flare this week, that must be so tough to always deal with that! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Marilyn, thanks for the hugs. I'm glad you had some kale come back up too. It sure saves money and time replanting it every year. Be blessed!

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!