Saturday, March 7, 2020

Lemon/Honey/Ginger Syrup

The syrup right after I made it and before the honey and lemon juice started mixing together.


   Barb in PA asked me to share my Lemon/Honey/Ginger syrup.  I do everything by eye so here is my "method" for making it.  I take a finger sized chunk of ginger and peel it with a spoon.  I find this the easiest way to peel ginger.  I cut in up in thin slices and then mince it up fine and throw it in a quart sized mason jar.  I then wash and slice lemons thinly.  and then cut those slices in half.  I put those in the jar layering them.  This usually uses about 5-6 lemons, depending on their size.  After this is done, I pour honey into the jar and use a chopstick or butter knife along the side of the jar to help it get down and all around the lemon slices.  I fill the honey almost to the top of the jar, leaving some headspace.  I don't have exact measurements on this.  I put a canning jar lid and ring on the jar and then tip it upside  down and shake it a bit before putting in in the refrigerator.  Within a day, you will start to see some syrup forming.  Shake your jar before using this.

   I like to use about 6 tablespoons in a mug of hot water as a nice drink to sooth my throat and also to boost my vitamin C levels.  It tastes delicious and is a great drink before bedtime or first thing in the morning.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this recipe, Debbie. About how much honey do you put in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just fill the jar almost all the way to the top, leaving a little headspace. It all depends on how many lemons you have in there I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Debbie! I just bought some lemons and fresh honey. Take care of yourselves and keep us posted on how you are coping and staying prepared. I appreciate the info from other people.
    Barb in PA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOu are very welcome! I'm heading in today to pick up a 3 month supply of one of my medications. I'm paying cash for it so I can get it now and not waiting another week to have it go through insurance. It will cost $8 more this way but it is worth it to me. Hopefully with the students at Washington State University gone for Spring Break it will not be too busy at Walmart.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!