Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Why Having a Well Stocked Pantry Saves You When You Are Sick

    Our family went camping over the weekend.  Our Rachel and our Isaiah were sick.  Rachel was having tummy trouble and Isaiah had a bad cold, which he shared with several of us. Bleck!  By the time Jeff and I got home mid day on Monday, I headed straight to the shower and then to bed.

    Yesterday I could feel it getting worse, so I pushed through and got the essential shopping done.  I'm so glad I did because today I feel like a truck hit me.  A very BIG truck.

    I started out my day drinking some TheraFlu Severe Cold and Cough medicine.  I had picked the boxes that have 6 packets in each one up at the Dollar Tree (I bought them out).  They only cost me $1 per box whereas at Walmart, they were $6.99 each.  I saved $5.99 per box!  I was so thankful that I had stocked up on them and put them in my HBA pantry.

   I knew that I had to stay hydrated and luckily had stumbled upon that amazing deal on Propel where I got the 12 packs for .50 each.  I had bought 2 of them and we did use some while we were camping, but I still have a bunch left.  I am now kicking myself for not buying more of them at that amazing price.  Anyway, I have been sipping on bottles of it both yesterday and today.  Individual bottles of this stuff run about $1 or more at the grocery store.  My bottles are under .5 each.

   Now we all know that colds need lots and lots of tissues to wipe those noses.  Again, I had stocked up on tissues whenever I have found them on sale.  The best deal I ran across was getting the Puffs brand tissues with lotion in them for .50 a box on clearance.  I am again kicking myself for not buying more of them at the time.  I bought 6 of them but now wish I had bought about 20 to see me through for a very long time.

   Everyone knows that soup is the perfect food for when you are sick with a cold.  I have that covered too.  When I make homemade soups, I make big batches of it and freeze some in meal sized portions in ziplock type bags.  I have amassed a variety of split pea, lentil, chicken noodle and veggie beef soups.  I keep the bags in plastic baskets in my freezer.  I pulled some out today and we will have that with some homemade croutons and fruit for dinner.  I do keep some canned soups like tomato, clam chowder and even some chicken noodle on hand also.

  I was thinking today about how blessed I feel to have everything I need here at home and how I paid pennies on the dollar compared to having to go out and buy all this stuff at full price.  We live in a small farming community without a grocery store, so we would have to drive half and hour to get to the store to buy any of these things. That would use up gas and quite frankly what little energy I have right now.  I'd much rather just stay curled up on the couch and let my body rest and recover.

 

   

22 comments:

  1. Hope you're feeling better, Debbie. Summer colds are the worst. Living in a small farming community also, I understand completely about the necessity to have a well-stocked pantry. Nothing's worse than having to drive miles just to pick up medicine when you're sick. Speedy recovery!

    Hugs
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane. I have been dozing on and off all day. My body is sure telling me that it needs the sleep because I never sleep this much.

      Delete
  2. Those well stocked pantries do serve us well! Sorry you aren't feeling well. I hope you are better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendi. There is a one day produce sale tomorrow and I am having my hubby stop by on his way home from work in the morning and get more fruit for us. All that vitamin C should help me heal. :)

      Delete
  3. Hello Debbie, Oh how I need to stock my pantry for winter. I hope you are feeling better soon. I have sister who lives in Washington State. Take Care!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Where in Washington State does your sister live?

      Delete
  4. Hope you're feeling better. I,too, have to balance stocking up when I see great prices with my budget and space limitations. Gatorade was on sale this week 5 - 1-litre bottles for $0.90. That was a great price for here. But I only got 5.
    Love the idea of storing your soups in the ziplocks. Will have to consider that once my freezers empties out. I've got no room right now since I stocked up on berries.
    So what is an "HBA pantry"? I'm not familiar with the term.
    Cheers, SJ in Vancouver BC Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SJ. :) HBA is Heath, Beauty and All other stuff. ;) That really is a good price for the Gatorade. Propel is similar to Gatorade in that it also has the electrolytes. Space is at a premium here too and I really need to get some of the berries out of our freezer and make jam here before hunting season starts.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I had just never seen that abbreviation. SJ

      Delete
  5. Are you old enough to remember the Tylenol poison tampering? That happened when I was young mom and ever since, I've never liked to have to buy OTC meds and use them immediately. I just think it's safer to have some that have been around awhile. That way, if something is wrong with a batch, it will be discovered and recalled before we take it.
    I like to keep the same things as you for illness and also keep 7 Up type beverages and saltine crackers. We just like to eat those when we are sick.

    Hope your cold is gone soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda, I do remember that. It was so scary! I try to keep some 7up and seltzer water on hand, along with crackers too. :)

      Delete
  6. Wow. Great deals. It will certainly make you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara, I sure hope so. I'm still running a fever today and am already so tired of this. It can just go away!

      Delete
  7. So happy you stocked up ahead. Makes me think I need to do this too. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...hopefully I will be fever free tomorrow. :)

      Delete
  8. I sure you hope you feel better! Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think I am finally on the tail end of it. :) Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  9. You poor thing, Debbie - it's almost like you knew it was going to happen when you bought all that Thera Flu last week - weird, huh? Feel better, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah. It was inevitable. I knew it would come sooner or later. ;) I hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  10. So sorry to read that you are down with a cold. Very wise of you to have stocked up on meds and tissues and soup, etc. Get plenty of rest and hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bless. I am taking lots of naps and that is helping. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!