Saturday, December 8, 2018

Good and Frugal Food!

 

Wonton, Napa Cabbage and Kamaboko soup.



   I thought I would share some of the more frugal and yummy meals and treats that I have been making here at home over the last few months.  Money is tight and I really do have so much food on hand that needs to be used in my freezers, refrigerator and pantry before it goes bad.  With the weather getting colder, I am also inside and home more since my body does not like the cold and changing weather at all.  On the days when I have the energy, I try to make us a nice and comforting meals.  These are just a few examples of what I have been cooking up in my kitchen with the ingredients that I have on hand.  Enjoy!



Fettuccine alfredo with chicken, spinach and red peppers.
 

Turkey pot pie with leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, orange wedges and olives.

Pork Lo Mein with veggies.

Homemade split pea soup with ham.

Steamed dumplings (bought at Costco), homemade coleslaw, kim chee
and grapes.

Steamed dumplings, braised napa cabbage and some wine.

Garlic pork roast and baked and seasoned spicy sweet potatoes.

Homemade Scrapple served with a big salad.


Homemade scrapple and huckleberry pancakes.

Burgers, apple slices and mashed red potatoes with parsley from our garden.

Chicken breasts, stuffing and sauteed zucchini.

Baked squash and cheese casserole.
Vanilla ice cream topped with homemade huckleberry topping.


18 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie!
    Thank you for sharing these!
    I hope you are well and enjoying this cozy season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOu are very welcome. :) I am spending a lot more time sitting near that pellet stove to try and stay warm. Kitties in my lap help too. ;)

      Delete
  2. Just YUM...love the photos and ideas. I got a big head of cabbage this week and need to find some things to do with it. Some of it I'll use for coleslaw. YOur soup looks like a great idea for the rest.
    Cheers, SJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi my friend. :) You are very welcome. Pulled pork with cabbage is also really good!

      Delete
  3. Yum, yum, and more yum! It all looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very delicious, cozy cooking, for winter meals. The steamed dumplings looked good and inspired me to buy some for our dinners, too. I never had thought of buying them at the store. Duh.

    Your scrapple reminded me of when I was a young kid my Grandma and Grandpa would work together making big batches of scrapple. I don't remember ever even tasting it, probably because I turned my nose up at it and acted bratty. My Dad didn't eat it, so that is probably why I never tried it. My cousin and I would stay near Grandma and Grandpa in the kitchen and watch them make it and talk and visit with Grandma and Grandpa, but I don't believe either I or my cousin tasted it. I feel sad about that now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie, I am sure your grandparents made it the old fashioned way. I "cheat" and use sausage and cornmeal plus spices. It tastes close to the original, but with lots less work (and organ meat). ;)

      Delete
  5. Yum! Those meals all look wonderful:). You must be getting up from your chair by the stove occasionally to make such good food:).

    We have a roaring fire here all the time now--so cozy. Today, when we turned on Netflix to find something for the kids to watch, there was a picture of a roaring fire. So, we turned it on, and then we had a fire on the tv over the fireplace--so 2 fires. Of course, the idea is for people to play the "fireplace" and the carols that come with it, but the kids were roaring with laughter. For whatever reason, it really made them laugh to think we had 2 fires, and Christmas music! That lasted for a while, as we sat there laughing, then we got on to the movie they wanted to watch. It will never cease to amaze me how little it takes sometimes to amuse kids! We are having a fun weekend--nothing super exciting, but a good time none-the-less. I''m glad you are feeling better by the fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that too Becky...it is cozy isn't it? :) I love that the kids got such a huge kick out it. Thanks for sharing...it made me giggle!

      Delete
  6. Same here, Debbie - I have spent far too much money this month - next month will need to be a no spend month for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking we may have to do that here in January also. Have a wonderful Christmas!

      Delete
  7. Your food looks lovely! There are days that I feel like cooking and go like a locomotive but then there are days that I can't get myself to cook much and do the very minimum. Thanks for sharing, this is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...you are welcome. We all have days like that.

      Delete
  8. Debbie, it all looks so good. My first visit to your blog, I wasn't disappointed. Could I ask if your zucchini was from frozen or fresh when you fixed it? if frozen could you tell me how you froze it? Thank you. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome and I am so glad you visited me here! :) I used fresh. I have tried freezing it but the skins just were too hard when I froze it in slices and then tried to use it. I'm going to use zucchini that I shredded before I froze it if I ever make this off season again. Have a Merry Christmas!

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!