Monday, December 4, 2017

Hot Sauce, a Broken Pot and the Flu

 
Someone is about to get squirted for being on the countertops again!


   Last night was a rough one all the way around.  I put up a garland complete with fairy lights on our old hutch.  Doofy eyed it like it was prey.  He was told no and seemed to lose interest so we finally went to bed around 11:30 p.m..  Jeff had not been feeling well all day so we had taken it easy and watched lots of movies.  At 12.30 a.m. I heard some banging and very distinct munching sounds.  I sprang out of bed to find Doofy eating the bottom part of the garland.  He had shorted out last year's garland by chewing on it so this was the new and improved version.  I surveyed the damage and quickly calculated a plan.  I got out the hot sauce and a pastry brush and painted the lower parts where he could reach it easily with hot sauce.  I then went back to bed.

   After finally having just dozed off, I was rudely jolted out of sleep by a crashing sound.  CRUD!  I came out to find my favorite flowerpot that I stored up on the very top and at the very back of the tall hutch shattered and dirt everywhere on my antique buffet that sits next to the hutch.  Yes, I still had dirt in it because after Doofy ate my beloved Christmas cactus from out now deceased Grandma Ann, I had just put it up there hopefully out of his reach.  Apparently, not to be thwarted by my hot sauce basted garland ends, he decided to jump up on top of the hutch to feast on the plastic (yes, he is supposedly allergic to plastic) middle of the garland and wiggled his big butt so much in delight that he moved the cherished pot over and off the edge.  Jeff said he would clean it all up in the morning and for us to head back to bed. I picked up the pieces of shattered pottery before heading back to bed because I did not want anyone to get hurt and figured we could deal with the rest of the mess in the morning.  By this time, Jeff was feeling even worse and was tossing a turning in bed.  Doofy cat, knowing he was in big time trouble came in and curled up next to me in bed in an effort to let me know he was sorry.  I forgave him...I always do.

   Now that I was fully awake again, I could not get back to sleep so I got up.  I was going to clean up all the dirt but it was everywhere and I needed a vacuum to do a good job of it.  I did not think Jeff would appreciate me running a vacuum at 2:00 in the morning.  I put on some YouTube videos and learned how to make several different kinds of baked goods.  I headed back to bed around 4 a.m. and Jeff was not doing well and was really restless. My fibromyalgia was starting to flare at this point and my legs were aching but I finally dozed off around 5 ish.  At 5:30 a.m. I woke up to find that my hubby was in the bathroom and was feeling even worse with stomach cramps.  He was in there for about 45 minutes and finally came back to bed.  He and I both finally feel asleep after more tossing and turning, but I kept waking up to check on him.  

   Around 9 a.m., after finally falling into a restful sleep, I was awoken by the sound of someone loudly throwing up and it was not a cat coughing up a hairball.  It was then official, my poor hubby had the flu.  😟  This man can handle just about anything but throwing up.  Oh he was so miserable.  I got him some water and then called his employer to let them know what was going on so they could sent one of the sons of the owner home to sleep so that he could cover Jeff's route Monday night.  I then sent Jeff back to bed where he slept until I woke him at 4 p.m. so that he could get something to drink and be up for a bit before heading back to bed.  He drank some water, watched a little TV and was back in bed all within 2 1/2 hours.  Poor guy is no longer throwing up but his body aches and he has a bad headache.

   While Jeff slept today I took the movies back to the library, and picked up the mail.  I did not get all the dirt vacuumed up because I did not want to wake Jeff.  I picked up all the dog and cat fur from our shedding furbabies and threw that in the trash.  I finished laundry and got my pillows and a quilt out so I can sleep on the couch tonight so that Jeff can spread out on our bed and hopefully the cats will sleep with me on the couch and not on the bed with him.  I am praying that he will feel better in the morning and that I do not get this.  My menu plan went out the window and I checked to make sure that we have lots of seltzer water, 7Up, and some vitamin waters along with crackers, jello, bananas, bread for toast and applesauce on hand.  I do have homemade and canned chicken noodle soup too.  I will have to see how Jeff is doing tomorrow and call in again for him if he is still sick.  At this point I am thinking he is going to need another night off because he was running a fever when he headed back to bed a little while ago.  My poor hubby...I feel so bad for him.

18 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that your husband is sick. I will pray for him to feel better, and that you don't get it. I would rather have a cold for a week or two then get a stomach flu. Your Doofy is a very lively cat, and I'm sure there's never a dull moment with him around:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He is doing better today...just really tired but is going to go to work later tonight anyway. You are right about Doofy, he keeps us on our toes!

      Delete
  2. Hi Debbie!
    We're praying for Jeff to get better and for you not to get the flu.
    God bless you!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your prayers Paula, he is doing better today and so far I have not caught it. :) Praying all is well with you!

      Delete
  3. I was laughing out loud ready about the kitty antics! I could just see it happening in my mind's eye. I am sorry the pot was broken - but oh those babies get a notion and watch out!

    I hope Jeff gets to feeling better quickly and praying you don't catch it!
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, Doofy does keep us entertained which seems to make up for his destructiveness. ;) Jeff is feeling better today which makes me really happy!

      Delete
  4. So sorry to hear that Jeff has the flu. Gastro issues just wipe me out as well. Ditto for any kind of headache. My go-to is gingerale and soda crackers.
    Your cat story had me laughing though. Cats!! Gotta love them.
    From the last post - the cold temps just came in last night/this morning. There was a very heavy frost when I took the dog out this AM. I was up at 4am - couldn't sleep. The forecast is for clear and cold for the next week. I'll take that over ice and snow any day!!
    Cheers, SJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SJ, sounds like you and I are having the same weather pattern. I do want the snow though because it is so pretty! ;) Jeff is feeling better and so far, I am not catching it. I'm just exhausted from lack of sleep. I know you understand that. Be blessed!

      Delete
  5. Oh cats are silly creatures. We just got a new 6 month old kitten and she thinks the Christmas tree ornaments are delightful toys. Ohh dear you have not had good sleep or your husband and that is important for healing. I hope you both are in better health now. The flu is terrible! Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Angela, what fun to have a new kitten! My hubby is feeling better and I am praying that now that he is feeling better, that I can finally get some sleep too. Be blessed!

      Delete
  6. Cats are so much fun. Sorry about Hubby men are so much more ill when they are sick. I am on an antibiotic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are finally on an antibiotic. I am hoping that you can get some rest and that your mother is able to spend a few more days with other family members.

      Delete
  7. Wow! You guys have had your share. I hope you both feel better soon. That darned cat but oh they are so loveable most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My hubby is doing better and so am I. :) Yes, Doofy is very lovable but he is like a curious toddler getting into everything. We do seem to pick the furbabies that have issues. ;)

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry Jeff was so ill, but glad to read that he's feeling better. Hopefully, you won't catch it! As for Doofy cat, I think I know why you named him that! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh BLess, I giggled reading your comment about Doofy and yep, you are right! ;)

      Delete
  9. Poor Jeff. Hope he is feeling much better very soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!