Thursday, December 14, 2017

Honey, Ginger and Lemon Syrup




    I thought I would share with you how I made some Honey, Ginger and Lemon Syrup.  I got the recipe idea from Big Family Homestead.  They have a wonderful YouTube channel that I enjoy watching.  They make a large jar full each time but I opted to make a smaller jar of it to see if I like it first.  I now wish I had made a larger jar!  They say they take about 2 tablespoons when they have a cold or cough and that it is also great to stir into tea.  Well it is good and it actually makes for a really nice hot drink at night if you stir in about 4 tablespoons (or more) into a mug of hot water.  I have been having some most nights and I find I sleep better when I do this too.  So here is the "recipe"...


Scrape the skin off about a 5 inch piece of ginger with a spoon.  This is the easiest way I know of to peel ginger.

Finely mince your ginger.

Thinly slice and quarter an organic lemon.

Start layering the ginger and lemon slices.

Pour some honey over the layers and use a plastic knife or even a chopstick to make sure it gets down and around all the layers.  If you can find local honey, use that for it's help in fighting local allergens. If not, any other honey will do.

Here is what my final product looked like.  I used a half pint jar and had about half of my minced ginger leftover so I froze it for future use.  This can last up to a month in your refrigerator.  Next time I am making it in a much larger jar so I can make a larger batch since I like to enjoy some each evening.



18 comments:

  1. Debbie, thank you so much for sharing this. I'm going to brew some today. Enjoy your blog so much, but I've never commented before. Yes, I'm a lurker. Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hello "lurker"! :) I hope you like this as much as I do. I did not do my hot drink with this last night and had trouble falling asleep. I'm going to have to keep a journal or something and see if there is a connection there. ;)

      Delete
    2. Well, I'm back to tell you that this is the best stuff since sliced bread! I made a big batch and I've used it every day, several times a day, in my water. My husband used it as a tea for an upset stomach and felt 100% better in no time. We're beekeepers, so we have a pretty good supply of 'real' honey. Thank you again. Still lurking, Mindy :-)

      Delete
    3. I am so happy to hear this Mindy! Lucky you to have your own supply of honey. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  2. Hm, that is one tasty looking recipe. I happen to love ginger and honey, a great combo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I had, had this recipe a month ago :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had seen it earlier and could have shared it then for you. (((((HUGS)))))

      Delete
  4. That looks yummy. So, it's just an infused honey? You don't add any other liquid, right?
    Hope you're doing better.
    SJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing better today, thank you. :) Yes, it is just an infused honey. The honey helps draw the juice out of the lemons. I hope you are doing well today also!

      Delete
  5. So when you "take" 2 tablespoons of it for a cold or cough--do you eat the lemon and ginger bits, too? Or do you only spoon out the liquid?
    How long does it have to infuse before you can use it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, I used mine within a day or two after making it. I spoon out the liquid, but do get some ginger bits in mine, which I don't mind at all. From what I understand though, you are supposed to just use the liquid itself. Hope that helps and Merry Christmas to you. :)

      Delete
  6. My Mother Used a version of this when I was small. Hers had onion in it that was strained out before you drank it. Then, she would give a drink of whiskey, which was not my favorite! (My Dad didn’t seem too thrilled to share his whiskey, but that’s a whole other story.) It’s always nice to find something that works especially if you have most of the ingredients.
    Another Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Debbie! Nice to meet you. :) I know there is something similar to this called fire cider with onions in it but it is made with vinegar and not lemons and also has cayenne pepper in it. I have used that in the past also.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing this recipe, Debbie. If it helps you to sleep, then I am going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works for you Bless. I just found it to be a nice bonus! :)

      Delete
  8. My goodness! It's going to let me comment! Finally!!

    I am not sure why, but I've tried numerous times to comment, and it's rejected my comments. I want to take this golden opportunity to say that I hope you are feeling good this week, and that as Christmas is drawing near, you can enjoy the week ahead!

    I really should try this recipe for nights I can't sleep well! It looks like it would cure what ails you!

    Have a great week:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky, I'm glad you were finally able to get your comment to go through. I have been having that same problem on some blogs too. I do hope this stuff helps you. If nothing else it tastes good and I have not gotten the flu yet since I have been taking it.

      Be blessed my friend!

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!