Friday, July 21, 2017

Frugal Friday Wrap Up 7/15-7/21 2017

   


   In reading over my list here it seems like longer than a week since we met up with my baby brother and his sweet family for breakfast on Saturday.  I'm not sure what to make of that.  I think we just packed so much into one week, so it made it seem longer.  Onto the saving!

~My baby brother insisted on paying for Jeff and I when we met them for brunch on Saturday.
~Time spent with my baby brother Eric, sweet SIL Christie and our nephews Cade and Eli...priceless!  I just wish we had remembered to get some pictures together.
~We filled up my car with gas since we were down to half a tank while we were up in Coeur D'Alene, ID.  Gas is a full .30 a gallon cheaper there than it is down where we live.
~We did not make it to the wedding since it would be a huge rush to get there from CDA and a 3 hour drive, so instead we did some shopping.  Of course we went to the thrift stores and found some things there that we needed. Goodwill was having a 50% off all linens and I found a beautiful and large fleece blanket/throw to use in the cooler months ahead while cuddling on the couch. We also hit Grocery Outlet and picked up a few grocery items as well.
~I knew I was worn out Saturday afternoon so we picked up a frozen pizza while we were at Grocery Outlet to have for dinner that night at home.



~Sunday I harvested peas, peppers, tomatoes, strawberries, blueberries and tons of raspberries from the garden.
~One of our soaker hoses that winds it's way through the raspberries, prune plum trees and blackberries sprung a horrible leak that just kept getting worse and worse.  Jeff was not able to fix it.  Luckily we had some spare soaker hoses that I picked up at a yard sale several years ago (knowing that we would have to replace the others at some point).  Jeff got the old one taken out and the new one put in.
~The laundry line was used to dry lots of clothes, towels and blankets.
~Sunday we had a surprise 80th birthday party to go to for our Heather's grandfather.  I took cherries and raspberries to contribute to the early dinner.  It was so much fun to be with some of the people that I love most in the world and I did well despite being in the middle of a Fibro flare.
~After the party we went into Moscow, Idaho to Winco to pick up a few grocery items that were needed and then came home.  This saved me a trip into town and lots of gas.
~I finally got the rest of the pepper plants put in the garden.
~We used a voucher for a free night at a hotel in Spokane to book a room for 2 nights.  We are paying for one of those night, but the other is free.  Our breakfast is included in the price and we get free coffee and a free latte each day too.  There are no coffee makers in the rooms anymore, so I will be taking our small coffee maker that I got last weekend for $2 with us.  Jeff and I are looking forward to this getaway...they even have a fun water slide at their outdoor pool. :)
~Jeff helped me menu plan for the week.  We tried to make a menu based on the weather, how busy we are each day and what we have on hand and needs to be used up.



~Monday night I made "Malibu Chicken" for dinner with a multigrain side dish, carrot sticks and steamed broccoli.  It tasted so good and was fairly easy and quick to put together.  I also used only one boneless skinless chicken breast and just cut it in half down the middle and also sliced it horizontally to cut down on cooking time.  We had some delicious carrot cake that our Heather made and sent home with us after her grandpa's birthday party.
~Our post office has been shut down since Saturday and will be closed for 8-9 days or more.  They are doing asbestos abatement since the flooring is being replaced and it contained asbestos.   We now have to drive to another town to get our mail.  I refuse to drive over there daily so I will be picking up the mail when I drive through that town on Thursday on my way to Heather's.  I am worried that it is going to take more time to get this thing done because there was no one there even working on it today when I went down to the library and to try and mail something off.  They even shut down the outside mail box.
~I got in on the free samples at PinchMe on Tuesday. :)
~My husband requested Tuna Pasta Salad for dinner on Tuesday so I got that made Tuesday morning and used some green onions from our garden in it.  It's super easy to make and something that he really enjoys.  Since I was in crash mode on Tuesday, I was thankful for something that took very little effort to make on my part and that my hubby loves.
~Wednesday I took advantage of a free offer for a subscription to "This Old House" magazine via PinchMe.



~Wednesday also found me picking raspberries, blueberries and strawberries once again from the garden.
~I've been working my points programs.
~Thursday I went huckleberry picking with Heather, Chris, Bradley and Isaiah.  We had a wonderful time and I was able to pick 1 1/2 quarts of berries.  Chris and Heather picked about 2 gallons and sold those for $100.  Huckleberries are selling  for anywhere between $15-$25 a quart depending on where you buy them. I kept my huckleberries and am hoping to go back up again this coming week to get more. We took a short drive up to the old fire lookout tower and some people we know had rented it so they gave us a tour.  It can be rented out for $39 a night and the view cannot be beat.  You can see over a hundred miles in all directions!  I would love to be up there during a thunderstorm. 



~Friday 3 loaves of banana bread were made with 5 overripe bananas. I had one very happy hubby when he got up in the afternoon after a really rough night at work.
~I used a black Sharpie marker to fill in some areas on a black picture frame that had gotten scuffed and nicked.

    I'm going to try and make this an early night and see if I can fall asleep and stay asleep.  I have not been getting much sleep all week long and it is starting to take it's toll on me.  We have Jaysn and Rachel coming over tomorrow to pick raspberries and have lunch with us and I am so looking forward to that.  I want to be awake and thinking clearly while they are here.😉  Oh, the picture at the top is my Doofy cat...boy has he got attitude!  LOL!



 













10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely and eventful week!
    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Cheryl, thank you! Our weekend has been wonderful so far too! I hope your's is the same. :)

      Delete
  2. The picture of Doofy cat made me laugh.
    What a great week you had inspite of your fibro flare. And, very great that you two are getting away to that hotel. How smart to buy a smaller coffee maker to take with you.
    You reminded me that I had been a relief fire lookout one summer during college. Mostly, the full time guy who had been doing it for years really hired me to bring up his groceries and mail. But, hey, I got to staff it on my own eventually. I even called in one fire -- until he came running up into the fire tower to see what all the commotion was about on the radio. I then had to call back to say my 'fire' really was fog. True story.
    So what are you going to use the huckleberries for? I've never seen them around here to pick. My 'freebie' fruit later in the summer is blackberries. We have so many blackberry bushes all over that are free to pick.
    Finished night #10 on cpap - I think I'm feeling a little better. I had more stamina in the garden this week. So far, no crashes. Cheers, SJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SJ, he is sure a character! :D That is so awesome about you being a relief fire lookout in the past. That is something that my mother and I both have dreamed about being able to do. YOur story about the "fire" is funny!

      I'm not sure what I am going to use the huckleberries for yet. I am thinking in muffins and pancakes so far, but if I am able to pick a bunch more this week, then I will make syrup with those. I want to head down to the river to see if the blackberries are ready down there. I was hoping to do that today but hubby needed to be my priority so maybe tomorrow. Good for you on the CPAP, hopefully this will really help continue the pattern of no crashes! :) Be blessed!

      Delete
  3. Looks like another good week! I'm with you on the sleeping thing... no fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I'm sorry you have trouble with sleep also. Last night I had those busy dreams that leave you exhausted when you wake up in the morning. Praying that tonight will be much better. ;) Be blessed!

      Delete
  4. Years ago, we knew people who ran a fire lookout. I once spent 3 days in one, with the woman. It is an experience I've never forgotten.

    I have memories of going huckleberry picking with my grandparents. They took us up to a mountain in Washington state somewhere (can't remember the name--not St. Helens:) ) and I remember lots of people milling around in the bushes, all picking into coffee cans with ropes on them holding them around their necks so their hands were free for picking. We picked a lot, took them home, and my mother used them all winter for anything she would have used blueberries for. It's a sweet memory. Thanks for bringing that up!!!
    https://beckyathome.wordpress.com/2017/07/23/saving-money-and-weekly-update-july-23-2017/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, that is such a sweet memory. We love huckleberries in our family. My hubby will even eat them if they are in muffins and he is not a fan of most fruits. ;) This year has been a really good year for huckleberries with a long picking time. I think the wet Spring had a lot to do with that.

      Delete
  5. I've never seen huckleberries! Sounds like you had another great, frugal week! Loved the picture of your kitty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Huckleberries are delicious little berries, kind of like a blueberry, but with much more flavor. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!