Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Fall is Finally in the Air and some Thrifting

 




  Fall has finally made its way into the Pacific Northwest and I could not be happier.  Last night we had some rain that knocked down some of the smoke from all the wildfires burning around us.  The air felt crisp, clean and clear as I let the cats out into the back porch this morning.  I decided to join them there and have my coffee while enjoying the cooler clean air.  I breathed in deeply, something I have not been able to do while outside for what seems like an eternity.


   After my coffee, I got the sheets into the washer.  I also made plans for switching out the quilt on the guest bed to one in green tones that my mother made.  I love handmade quilts that hold memories and make you feel like you are wrapped up in the hugs of some of the precious people that spent their time in making them.  I think I will also change out the extra blanket in there that I always keep on the bed to a green one to match the quilt.


   Yesterday Jeff and I went into town to get me out of the house for a bit and pick up a few groceries.  I asked him if we could stop at two of my favorite thrift stores.  I was looking for some decorative plates in a Fall theme that I could hang in my kitchen.  I have been having a wonderful time switching out plates per season, but I had not had any luck finding some in the Fall like colors. 


   Upon my arrival at the first thrift store, I found two matching plates that were perfect for my Fall plate display.  I shared a picture of one of the plates above.  It was made by Johnson Brothers and I just love it.  I got my new to me plates put up in my kitchen now and am enjoying them immensely.  


   The second thrift store I went to is where I found a blanket that I had been eying for over a month now finally marked down to half price.  It is in what I call the "lumberjack" red and black wool pattern.  I had been wanting it to add to my winter cozy and cuddle up decor and for people to be able to use when they came to visit.  I also found a silk scarf that I am in love with and will be taking with me on my trip down to Las Vegas later this Fall.  I love silk for its beauty, softness, warmth and its breathability.


   Habitat for Humanity's resale store is where we really scored though.  I had been unhappy with a lamp we bought for the dining room since it gave off a "buzzing sound" and was not exactly what I wanted.  We stopped in and were greeted with big hugs from one of Jeff's former coworkers, Mike, who is now the manager there.  We found the light fixture that I wanted for $20 and also found fuses for our garage's fuse box (it takes the old screw in fuses).  Mike gave us the fuses for .25 each!  We got all that they had (5 in total) and an electrical adapter that we also needed.


   Now for the grocery shopping, I found a package of 2 rather large, marinated pork roasts marked down to $7.33.  This was an amazing deal!  As soon as we got home, I got both the roasts put into my slow cooker and set it on high.  They completely filled the crockpot.  I flipped them over a couple of times while they were cooking and then, when done, shredded them both up and then put it all into the refrigerator. I now have a very nice meal for us tonight of pulled pork sandwiches, along with leftovers. There are some hamburger buns that I needed to use up ASAP, so the pulled pork will go on them and I will serve it with homemade coleslaw and homemade applesauce on the side.  I also packaged up and put away 2 bags full for other meals.  Quick meals in the freezer are such a blessing since I can just pull them out for us or for someone else that may need a meal.


   Well, that is it for now.  I have things to get done before the hubby comes home later after work.  Luckily, because of the rain, watering can be taken off my "to do" list for today.  Since Jeff picked blackberries for me yesterday, I don't have to do that today either.  We have already frozen a bunch and we are just at the beginning of the harvest season for them.  I'm going to make more blackberry infused gin or vodka, since that came out so well last year.


   Be blessed my sweet friends!


   

8 comments:

  1. We have had a couple cooler days too - but the heat is returning by the weekend. Not fall yet here.
    You got some good deals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl and I hope get Fall soon in your part of the country. :)

      Delete
  2. We just got over a several days long heatwave! Temperatures have gone from 112F to the mid-to-upper 80s. It's still warm, but, much cooler. Mid-80s is my comfort zone and I hope we will stay there for several weeks. I don't like the colder weather!
    Your new plate is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bless and I am so glad you got some relief from the heat.

      Delete
  3. Wello you really scored on the plates. Good job. I just love thrifting and wish I had more time to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love thrifting also but have to be really careful not to go overboard with it. ;)

      Delete
  4. Wow-- you sound happy!! I'm so thrilled to read all that you got in your recent shopping. Puppygirl and I are settling in well...This Sunday she's going to be 1yo so no longer a puppy....probably will still call her that! I'm trying to build up my reserves that I had to leave behind with the move -- water and some pantry items. Last week the local store had lovely pork roasts for $0.99 per pound! I got two -- one that I carved in two and put each half in the freezer. The other one I put in my IP for pulled pork, Like minds?? This week's sale meat was whole chickens for $1.29/lb. Not a great price I'm thinking but great for me to rebuild my freezer. Sending hugs. SJ From Vancouver BC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you are settling in so well and that you found some great deals. How can puppygirl be 1 year old already? It seems like you just got her!

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!