Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Blissfully Peaceful...for the Moment and Other Thoughts


    


    I just got up (yes, it is close to 1 p.m. but in my defense I did not go to sleep until 5:30 a.m.), got the coffee going, wiped down all the outdoor furniture after yet another dust storm, and am settling down to drink my cup of liquid gold (Coffee).  I'm seated at my outdoor table on the back screened in porch, cats lounging in the sun spots, and am greeted with a picture of my youngest grandson Tate on my computer screen.  How can you not smile when you see that little cutie?  All my grandsons bring me such great joy but since I can see and hug the others in person, this little guy gets the place of honor as my screen saver. 😘


   At the moment it is blissfully peaceful out here in my little oasis.  No dogs barking, the wind is blowing through the trees and the birds are singing their beautiful songs.  I am savoring every moment because I know that it can quickly be shattered at any moment by a screaming lady and her yapping dogs that is back up here for about 6 months again.  Honestly, it is like nails on a chalkboard.  I have tried so hard to be nice and to model good behavior in how to treat your pets for her, but nothing seems to work.  It honestly makes me sad for her dogs and for her family too.  She has been this way for as long back as I can remember her coming up here.  With that said, I am going to continue to soak in the peacefulness for as long as I can. 😉


   Onto other thoughts...lucky you! LOL!  Jeff and I were supposed to get our Johnson and Johnson covid-19 vaccines yesterday.  We were woken up early in the morning with phone calls from his work, messages from the doctor's office and our kids messaging me on facebook that the government put a "pause" on giving that particular vaccine due to rare blood clotting reactions with it.  YIKES!  I talked to my nurse friend who was helping us to get the vaccine and she recommended the Pfizer since we could not do the Johnson and Johnson.  With the cases rising in our county and being put back into Phase 2 with some pretty restrictive measures in place once again, we were getting worried.  So now we go in this Friday night for that and have the weekend to get through the worst of it praying it does not send me into a huge flare since we are helping Jaysn and Rachel move the following weekend.  Jeff is taking that night off. And then, the icing on the cake, is that we get to do it all over again in a month's time. 😞  Maybe it was a blessing in disguise, at least that is the way I am choosing to view it.  Given that I already have anxiety issues, that waiting after the vaccine for a couple of weeks after the J and J vaccine to see if I would get that rare blood clotting issue is not what I need and would have keep me heavily medicated to avoid major panic attacks.  I already am dealing with high anxiety and a few panic attacks at the moment, but I am able to deal with them, even if they are unpleasant and also bring nightmares with them.


   Given that we did not get our jabs yesterday and it was a nice sunny and warm day, Jeff was able to finish building the raised garden bed boxes for both the front and the side gardens.  I am so proud of him for not only building them, but using free lumber and old roofing metal that we had here on hand to do so.  Love that talented and ingenious man of mine! He was so cute, having me come out and check the heights along the way to make sure that they are just how I want them.  I now have 4 lower leveled ones for taller plants and a taller one for things like lettuce and lower growing plants so I can easily harvest from them with out having to bend too much. 🎕


   One of the other things I had done was cook up a huge casserole dish full of homemade macaroni and cheese, 2 loaves of bread and 3 loaves of banana bread for after our jabs on Tuesday.  Well, we are now working on that and I am coming up with plan b for food to get us through the weekend.  I will make more sandwich bread, am making breakfast sausage sandwiches with precooked sausage patties and English muffins from the freezer (I'll have those ready to go in a container in the refrigerator), I cut up a cantaloupe (but I think Jeff will have that gone before Friday so I may have to pick up another on Friday and cut it up that night before the shot really kicks in) and will most likely make some sort of casserole that is easy on the tummy.  In addition to that, the freezers and pantry are stocked with lots of easy precooked foods that will be easy to grab.  I have lots of other fruit on hand and already have water bottles by the beds (I frequently sleep in the guest bedroom since that bed is better for me in dealing with pain), bathrooms are stocked with toilet paper, and I am keeping up on the laundry so we will not have to deal with all that.  I'm thinking the one thing I have not planned for and need to is digging out 2 more sets of queen sized sheets (I know I have at least one extra set) so we can quickly change the sheets if they become sweat soaked (gross right).  Hopefully though, our reactions will be minor like my parents were.  They got the same vaccine and only had sore arms and a little bit of fatigue.


   So I was in for a shock last night when I was looking through the grocery ads.  Have you noticed a HUGE jump in the price of bacon?  Oh my goodness, it's over $9 a package here and we are not talking those huge deli sized packages, but rather the regular small sized ones!!!  Holy piggies! 😲  Packages of crackers have also doubled in price...thank God for the Dollar Tree and Grocery Outlet or we would not be getting any more of those either for awhile.  This is one of those moments when I am so glad that I try to keep a very well stocked pantry so we can avoid having to buy things at outrageous prices or just go without them.  I fear this is just the beginning of prices going through the roof on food.  So glad we are planning for a bigger garden and really working on having great and productive soil this year.


   I think I am going to end this here.  I hear Jeff stirring and I want to be able to just finish my coffee while visiting with him without any other distractions.  We shall see what the afternoon bring us...be blessed!





   


  



14 comments:

  1. Glad you dodged the bullet - so to speak.
    I worry about you getting the shot - I hope it all goes well.

    Bacon is on sale here this week. I got probably 21 lbs. a while back in 3 lb. packs. I divided it all up and froze. Just being me now - it is really lasting a long time. Thank goodness.
    It sure does help to watch and purchase items on sale and clearance!
    Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet Cheryl.(((((HUGS)))) I'm hoping it all goes well too. I'm so glad you stocked up on bacon when you did. I was absolutely flabbergasted by the prices now. I'm thinking that I may have to call a friend that has a pig farm and see if I can get in a good deal on a whole pig to share with our family.

      Delete
  2. I hope you won't have any side effects from the vaccines. I had a sore arm from the 1st dose and a sore arm and a low fever the next day after the 2nd dose. Nothing that a couple of Tylenols couldn't take care of.

    Bacon is not something I buy all that often, but, Oscar Meyer 12-16 oz. packages are on sale this week for $3.77 at our Kroger-affiliated store, with a digital coupson ($4.99 without the coupon). I used to have a price point of $3.00/lb. for bacon (after years of having a price point of $2/lb). I wasn't going to buy any bacon this week at $3.77, but, maybe it is a bargain, after all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so good to know Bless! We are stocked up on Motrin, Tylenol and acidominaphen. I'm glad your bacon prices are so much better than ours are. Bacon is off the menu here for a bit. ;)

      Delete
  3. That’s such a sweet baby photo on your screensaver. And your header picture with all 4 boys is so sweet too.
    It’s crazy how different vaccine rates are state by state. In Oklahoma, anyone over 16 can get a vaccine, mostly Moderna and Pfizer. There are clinics and drugstores all over offering it regardless of phase and our Governor even said out of state people can get them here.
    Husband had no reaction to his. I felt flu-ish for 36 hours after the first one and had a sore arm for a week after the second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhonda :) we are so blessed to have 4 amazing grandsons who bring us such joy!

      It is crazy...they are opening up the vaccines in our state to anyone 16 and over today (April 15th) and the appointments are all booked solid. In order to go across the border to get them in Idaho, you have to work there if you are a Washington resident. A friend of ours who is fighting cancer ended up having to do that because even his doctor could not get him in anywhere to be vaccinated in the Spokane area. Luckily he helps farm the family land in Idaho, so he was able to get it there after finding out that was a possibility.

      Delete
  4. Hi, we both got the Pfizer, all went fine except for sore arms. I know probably 20 other people who got the same shots and only one had flu like symptoms the next day. So chances are good you both will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That is wonderful to hear. I hope my hubby and I are like you and your friends in our reaction. I do worry with my fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, and IBS that I may have a reaction or it will send me into a flare. I will report back after we get the shots. My cousin had the Moderna and shot one hit him hard.

      Delete
  5. Good advice having everything prepared in the event of illness after the 2nd shot. My one sister had no issues, sore arm but my other sister felt very flu-like. take care of yourselves. Also if this woman with the dogs in not capable of caring for them, maybe your local police or senior center could help her out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...she lives with her extended family. She is not physically harming them and they are well fed and groomed. It's her yelling at them that bugs me and our othr enighbors.

      Delete
  6. Grand babies are the best medicine ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read somewhere grocery prices are going up everywhere.
    I wonder if due to weather around you trucks have not been able to get there so there is a shortage so they raise the prices while they can. I know there have been some routes closed in different areas.
    I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I am so glad you enjoy my blog. You may be right about those prices. I did notice that bacon prices were just doubled in Walmart, not tripled like the other store where I saw the super high prices.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!