Saturday, April 4, 2020

Frugal Friday Wrap Up 4/3/20

Saturday:
~I cut half of a huge chicken breast up into tenders and cooked it in some olive oil and seasoned with Hickory Smoked Salt.  I served it with baked potatoes topped with plain Greek Yogurt.  I use the plain Greek yogurt as a substitute for sour cream.
~Jeff worked on organizing the front bedroom/craft room/pantry.  I cannot believe how many "lost" things he found in there including my glue gun. 😉
~Dinner was leftovers.
~I got a smoked sausage out of the freezer and stuck it in the refrigerator to thaw.  I also pulled out a package of bagels for Jeff.
~I cooked up 2 small apple pies.
~Jeff got a small container of strawberries from our garden out of the freezer to use with Sunday morning breakfast.

Sunday:
~I made jambalaya with leftover cooked rice, some smoked sausage and a few other ingredients.
~Jeff watched several movies that we have here on dvd.  I'm glad we have a large selection here to choose from.
~Jeff made us pancakes for breakfast with my homemade mix.  I topped mine with some strawberries...yum!
~I got the grapes all washed and cut into smaller stems to make for easy snacking.

Monday:
~I used up some cooked potatoes and some broccoli to make some quick potato/broccoli cheese soup for lunch.  It also gave us leftovers.
~I was able to do the USA census online.  It took all of 5 minutes.
~I opened up most of the curtains in the front of the house to let the light in.  It was a rainy day but I still did not have to turn on any electrical lights until later in the evening.
~I found a can of crescent roll dough so I baked those up to go with dinner.

Tuesday:
~My mother sent us some masks she made.  Jeff's are bowling themed!  Leave it to my mother to make us smile and giggle even during this stressful time.  Gosh I love that woman!
~I made 2 more loaves of bread.
~My allergies are acting up big time so I am back to drinking my honey/lemon/ginger syrup in hot water.
~I cooked up 2 pork roasts in one of my big crockpots.  At least one will be made into BBQed shredded pork.  The other will most likely will be made into Kalua Pig.  Those are some of our favorites and it will give me enough to also freeze some for future meals also.
~We were able to have a brief video chat with our son Jaysn, daughter Rachel and grandson Steven.  Steven got all excited to see his G-pa and said "What ya doing G-pa?".  Made my heart smile.  That boy loves his G-pa!
~My cousin Jeremy called and we had a nice chat.  He is so sweet.  He is closing down his store and is giving me some gorgeous Gorham crystal wine glasses.

Wednesday:
~Jeff had seen a large wooden spool that was used for some kind of construction cable at one of his drop off sites.  It had been sitting there for months.  He thought the wood would be excellent for building benches with so he called the owner of the company where it was located.  The owner was more than happy to have Jeff take it off his hands and said there would be another one soon that Jeff could also have. I thought that was really sweet of the owner.  Jeff brought the first of the spools home this morning.
~Rummaging through the fridge and pantry we found our inspiration for dinner.  We made street tacos with the street taco flour tortillas, some of the pulled pork and shredded some cheddar cheese on each taco.  These were served with grapes and cantaloupe.  YUM!
~We watched some funny videos on YouTube along with some travel ones.  I think Jeff and I both needed the break from all the virus news.

Thursday:
~I pulled out some of my binders that are full of money saving recipes.  It is good to go through them and find inspiration again.  I'm doing this more and more lately and looking through my Hawaii cookbooks as well.  Comfort food is much needed at this point.
~I've been going to bed earlier in the evenings again (I have no idea how my body got back on a normal person sleep schedule) so that is saving electricity since I don't have the lights and computer on as long.
~I binged watched some of my favorite YouTube channels that are uplifting and fun.
~I cooked up some Napa cabbage, potatoes and pulled pork.  It was so delicious and hit the spot.
~I used some of my lemon/honey/ginger syrup to make a tall glass of cold lemonade.

Friday:
~Jeff and I had leftovers for dinner.
~Jeff pulled some rolls out of the freezer to use to make sandwiches with.








4 comments:

  1. Debbie, it sounds like you are doing well under the circumstances. I agree with you on the comfort foods! That's what I've been craving, too. I was getting low on fresh produce, but, a friend of mine blessed me with some groceries, last week, and a cooked meal, too. I made some fabric masks for her as a thank you gift and will be giving them to her, tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good week on the home front.
    Yummy food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to hear that you're back to a normal sleep pattern.
    All is well here. I've got one little patch of garden weeded and just waiting to put down some compost before I plant.
    Hugs to all, SJ in Vancouver BC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad all is going well and that you and your family are healthy. The food you make sounds wonderful!! Since it is just the 3 of us we always have left overs. I love leftovers. Take care!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!