Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Not If But When

        Get Prepared Now for What is to Come


   Today I heard the words that I knew would be coming "not if but when" and to form a plan and prepare now for a possible severe disruption to your daily lives.   Our own CDC put this warning out reguarding the Covid-19 virus that is quickly making it's way around the globe.  I have friends and family who either are currently or who have been in the "hot zones" and their lives have been turned upside down.   I have talked to local first responders and I can tell you that they are not prepared for any of this.  Law enforcement does not have the needed supplies on hand or the training on how to deal with this kind of emergency situation and it seems neither do the local EMTs.  I have family members in these areas so yes, I do have first hand information.

   Jeff and I have been stocking up on things that we need here at home so that we can stay home if needed if there is a quarentine type situation either here or in the towns where we shop.  The only items that we could not find were the masks, which according to one of the salepeople we talked to, were all being bought out by the Chinese students to send home to their families.  I can't really blame them for wanting to protect their families...I would have been doing the same thing in their position.

   I talked to our son Chris, who is both an EMT and a police officer, and told him if he finds out that he has been exposed to this virus and has not headed home yet, that he is to call our Heather and have her and the boys go somewhere else to stay and offered up our home for them to come to.  I need to let Jaysn and Rachel know the same thing.  I know that Chris is going to be required to be out there working in law enforcement no matter what.  

   Taking into account that we may have more family here at some point to stay, we put in extra supplies of things like baking supplies, toilet paper, hand sanitizer, toothbrushes, aseptic packs of milk and some other items.  We also have some treat items because we all need a treat sometimes. 😉  All of the things that have stocked up on are things that we would use on a normal basis anyway, so they will not go to waste if we don't have to use them quickly.  It is always good to have extras on hand for any situation where you may find yourself homebound or low on funds.  I made sure that I have vitamins and my medications filled and am good for about 2 months on one medication and 6 months on another just in case the pharmacies are not able to get the meds in that I use on a daily basis, or I am unable to go and get them.

   My prayer is that we will not have to deal with this and that no one does get sick.  However, it is not looking good at the moment and for me at least, being prepared helps to keep me calm.  My husband, who is usually the calmer of the two of us, is even a bit alarmed at this and is also making sure that we have another ton of wood pellets coming.  He even made some suggestions on other things we might need.  He and I both want to make sure that we are doing all we can, not only to take care of ourselves, but also our family.  Once a parent, always a parent I suppose.   Be blessed and please prepare yourselves for the possibility of at least 14 days of not being able to go out, shop for items, etc..  This could go bad very quickly and the worst thing is to not be prepared and find yourself in a panic.

   

16 comments:

  1. I am sorry you have family and friends in the affected area.
    I am staying prepared for anything, cleaning hands and 'things' as much as possible, and not panicking.
    People need to stay home whenever possible. There is no need for unnecessary trips to stores and places. Stay home where you know you are safe if at all possible. I know those that work can't do that - but the rest of us can.
    Panic does not help anything. Keep calm and be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. That is why I am preparing. I don't want to be in a panic situation and have to leave to get things...I'd rather be prepared and not have to go out any ore than needed.

      Delete
  2. Well it is good to know someone whop has an in on this, as I am in a quandary as to weather or not to believe anything I hear or read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid that our mainstream media is not doing a great job at covering this but I have found that the international and even the Canadian media does a much better job. There are several doctors and epidemiologists who have youtube channels (and have for years before this latest outbreak) who are also well connected around the world and they are doing a great job explaining things and getting the information out there for anyone to see. Dr. JOhn Campbell is one that I particularly like to watch because he is so good at explaining things and breaking them down into layman's terms.

      Delete
  3. As the saying goes, "Hope for the best, but, prepare for the worst". I always keep an emergency supply of food, water, and other items on hand, because I live in Earthquake country and want to be as prepared as I can for a major earthquake that might disrupt electricity, water, sanitation, deliveries of groceries, etc. Yesterday, I looked over my supplies and noted a few items that need replenishing (cat litter, for example), so, I'll be working on that. I hope your family and friends will be safe and I'm glad that you are able to provide a safe haven for them, if necessary. As Cheryl said, keep calm. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Bless! I think you are wise to always be prepared for any situation that may arise. I got more cat litter too and made sure we had extra dog and cat food on hand.

      Delete
  4. Stores here have been out of masks for a couple of weeks now. Also missing from the shelves are hand sanitizer and rubbing alcohol. I'm don't mean to add to any panic by any means, just sharing what I've observed.
    I restocked on batteries this week and some pantry items. Take good care.
    SJ in Vancouver BC Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI SJ! I have not checked email again so if you have emailed me, I apologize. Please forgive me. I noticed that certain things are starting to go missing off the shelves too but some of that could be explained by stores not getting in shipments from overseas (which is still related the this virus). A nurse friend of mine said to make sure to have either bleach or vinegar on hand to clean with since they both disinfect surfaces better than any disinfectant spray. She told me that they use both the bleach (diluted with water) and straight vinegar to clean. Take care of yourself also!

      Delete
  5. I haven't been out and about much this year as I've been sick. I ended up with pneumonia. I'm better, but still recovering. Anyway, all that to say that I really feel the need to stay home, especially if this virus starts to spread here. I am busy making sure my pantry is well stocked. I went out today and plan to make another trip out Friday. Like you I'm not buying anything that we won't use. I feel it's better to be prepared. Especially considering that I could easily pick a germ up.

    I haven't been by for a while and I can't beleive how grown up the grands look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry you have been ill Wendi. That is hard to recover from. ((((HUGS)))) Please do stay home since there are currently two types of flu and strep throat also making the rounds also. Thank you about the grands...the oldest is turning 8 next month! Where has time gone?

      Delete
  6. Debbie,
    Here is a website for proper medical masks. Seem a little pricey but maybe you and your family can pool together the funds for them. Stay well. Barb
    https://www.getsafemask.com/splash?tpl=%7Btpl%7D&timer=%7Btimer%7D&preload=%7Bpreload%7D&cop_id=bzhmj&aff_id=2879&txid=10208081964cba13b6f7cc59d3562a&offer_id=4745&show_timer=%7Btimer%7D&aff_sub=102c2a5fb28a6843c6b4d13822dcd4&aff_sub2=1219&aff_sub3=&aff_sub4=&aff_sub5=&aff_click_id=&reviews_off=%7Breviews_off%7D&recentlybought=%7Brecentlybought%7D&title=%7Btitle%7D&lang=en

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Thank YOU for writing about this looming problem, you motivated me to get topped up on supplies and other things needed to stay well. Take care of yourself and your sweet family
      Barb in PA

      Delete
    2. Thank you Barb...you are too sweet!

      Delete
  7. I know what you are going through I live in Omaha and we have had 13 with the virus and 2 spouses who did not. So far some have gone home. I am so thankful for the team and the caregivers. I am not shaking hands any longer doing the elbow or I just give a wave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness...you guys have been through the ringer. (((HUGS)))

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!