Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Prioritizing When You Don't Have Much Oomph



   Today is one of those days when I just don't have much "oomph".  Yesterday I could feel a flare coming on in addition to already battling some other infections at the moment and this morning well...

  I had a long "to do" list for today and was supposed to watch Steven while Jaysn and Rachel went to a movie this afternoon.
I crawled out of bed around 9:30 and knew I was in trouble.  Time to prioritize.

   I got one load of laundry going and found that lifting my arms up straight out in front of me was really painful.  I realized at that moment that taking care of an active toddler was not in the cards today.  I love Steven with all my heart and spending time with him is one of my favorite things in the world, but I just could not do it today.  I called Jaysn to let him know.  By the time I hung up the phone, I was close to tears because I felt so bad for letting the kids down.  Jaysn was great about it but I still felt awful.

   I had lettuce in the garden that needed to be harvested this morning so I got myself dressed in a very soft long sleeveless dress and headed out to the garden.  I harvested 3 kinds of lettuce, got that washed and then put away.  By this time I was spent.  I grabbed a cup of coffee and settled into my recliner after I got the laundry into the dryer (no hanging it out on the line today for me).  And here I sit.

   It's close to noon now and the rest of my day will be spent doing things that keep me pretty much sedentary.  I will be working on my points programs, watching Youtube videos on further ways to build skills and save money, mending my favorite pair of black soft summer pants and doing some reading.  Dinner will be something super easy.  It's going to be close to 100F here today so we will be having either leftovers or a salad for dinner.  I have some precooked chicken in the freezer that would could put on the salad (with the lettuce I picked from the garden this morning) or we could make wraps with them if that is what my hubby wants instead.

   I think all of us have these kinds of day.  Those of us who battle chronic illnesses just have them more often. 😉 We have to prioritize what is the most needful thing or what absolutely has to get done that particular day.  For me, it was the laundry (I needed my super soft clothing washed) and harvesting the lettuce in the garden before it all went to bolt and got bitter.  I have a plan for a super easy dinner that does not require much work or energy and is still healthy.  My hubby can even throw that together if I can't do it.

   One other tip that I really want to pass along is to have easy meals that someone else can make (if you have someone else in the home who can help you) or ones that you can throw together quickly.  I try to have premade (some are homemade and some are bought on sale) meals in the freezer at all times.  This has saved us so much money and time and has been a lifesaver.  

   I'm going to end here and start on my points programs.  I want to earn point that I can cash in for gift cards.  I am hoping that maybe I can accumulate enough to give as gifts for Christmas or can use for us if the need arises.  Be blessed all!

   

   

22 comments:

  1. Hope you feel better, Debbie. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry that you couldn't spend your day with Steven. But I totally get it. My counselor used to tell me to make up two lists "Have to do" and "Want to do". That was the beginning for me in how I manage my energy.

    And most days, I have to figure out those lists on that day. I can't really plan far ahead.

    I hear you about having easy meals in the freezer! Frozen cheese pizzas bought on sale are my go-to favorites. I can add other toppings at will..or not. Yum. I also have a few favorite one-dish type frozen dinners that I buy on sale and keep on hand.

    Will you share your YouTube finds? That's one resource I have yet to explore at all.

    Way to go on the lettuce! My garden must today was to harvest the zucchini from my garden here at the apartment.Between what I harvested today and over the weekend, I put up six ziplocks of shredded squash about 2 cups each although I only eyeballed it. Phew. I was tired after doing that and cleaning up.I have one to cook tonight for dinner. The rest of dinner will be leftovers.
    Take good care my friend,
    SJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, good for you on the zucchini! I have some blossoms on mine finally.

      YouTube people that I am enjoying right now are Big Family Homestead and Roots and Refuge Farm.

      Be blessed!

      Delete
  3. I just wrote an email but forgot one of the benefits of using a wheelchair while flying on an airplane. My friend who flew Southwest paid to get on board in the early group. She could have saved that money because they boarded her first anyway because she used the wheelchair service.

    Also, when I check in, I double check that the wheelchair service will be there at the arriving gates. Even though I requested that very service when I booked my tickets, there have been more then one times when the counter person said "oh, you want the service at every gate?", Like that was news to them..
    CHeers, SJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know that. I'll be checking into it with the airline. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you feel free to let your son know that you are not up to watching the baby when you are not. Even though it's disappointing to you, and probably him a little, I'm sure he would rather know than think of you having a hard time all afternoon. Then, they will be more free to ask again if they know you will tell them when you can't, if that makes sense, without feeling like you might or might not be suffering the whole time. You will get another turn:).

    I'm glad you are finding some good things to watch and read while you have to stay down. I am also picking all the lettuce I can, as it's been really hot here, too, and it's just a matter of time until it bolts. The zucchini is going crazy--like 25 or more in the past very few days. I picked it heavily yesterday and just glanced at it this morning in the 2 minutes I ran past it and THERE ARE MORE!! ladies, there's a limit to how much I can use. The one that got past me and is huge is going into the compost heap! I'm already alienating my relatives by appearing with armfuls:). What a fun problem to have! Wish you were closer so I could load you up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky, the kids are really good about it when I let them know that I just can't do something. They understand that my health varies from day to day and even from hour to hour. It makes it really hard to plan ahead.

      I so wish my zucchini was doing as well as yours is. My hubby is desperately wanting to zucchini bread and we are sharing all of the garden with our kids so I need lots! One year we did have way too much and it got out of hand. The boys decided that they were going to use the huge overgrown zuchs as baseball bats and hit other things that had rotted (like tomatoes) with it. What a mess but they had fun! :)

      Delete
  5. I have had to tell people I cannot watch children when I am flaring as I am afraid I am going to drop them. It comes and it goes. Just take care of yourself my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...that is one of the things I am most afraid of...dropping the baby. I hope you are being kind to yourself also. :)

      Delete
  6. I don’t say no enough and when I should. But I’m trying to be smarter about it.
    Good for you knowing your limits.
    It is hot here too and tomorrow starts an even hotter streak. That’s just what summer does though.

    I’ve not done much on points programs this summer but I plan to once school starts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda, saying no is hard but it has to be done. ;) Praying you can find a way to stay cool.

      Delete
  7. Take care of yourself Debbie!Sending hugs and wishes for a peaceful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela, the same back to you. :)

      Delete
  8. Thank you Debbie for sharing this. I just finished my last chemo treatment this week. Everything in me wants to do do do, but my body is saying no no no.
    You gave good advice.
    God bless you,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage
    who hates that Blogger isn't sending us email notifications. It's so hard to respond to commentors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be blessed my friend! So glad you are done with your chemo treatments.

      Delete
  9. It's a 'no-go' day for me. MrDog got me up 5X between 9pm and 2AM to go potty outside. I gave him a small breakfast this AM and will skip feeding him dinner--- that's what the vet had me do the last time he was sick like this. Vet appointment scheduled for Wednesday. Kind of like kids, why does this always seem to happen on a weekend?
    Cheers, SJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no...poor guy and poor you! :( Please let me know what they say at his visit.

      Delete
  10. Having meals in the freezer is something I do too, Debbie, and it's so great to be able to pull out a ready-to-go meal when you are feeling ill or just plain tired. Hope you feel better soon. Meg Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg...it really does help with the budget too. ;) Be blessed!

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!