Friday, November 17, 2017

Fibro Fog and Cooking Fail




   My Fitbit lied.  It said I got a little over 8 hours of sleep last night and that I was in the deep sleep cycle for a little over an hour.  It also says I feel asleep and went into the deep sleep cycle at 10:35 last night.  I did learn however that petting a cat that is cuddled up on your lap brings down your heart rate and calms you because that is what was going on at that time of night.  I then took a shower and crawled into bed to watch a movie since I could not sleep.  I do know that it was after 3:30 a.m. when I finally fell asleep.  After subtracting that information from my fitbit official sleep report, I know know that I only got about 30 minutes of deep sleep and 4 hour total sleep last night.  Also given the fact that I have not slept well at all this week, the Fibro Fog is thick today and I should have known better. 😒

   I am going to a potluck Ladies Brunch tomorrow and I decided to make some Garlic Sesame Straws for it.  This is a new recipe for me but it looked easy enough...imagine foreboding music playing at this point. 😩 

   I read the recipe multiple times over the past week and thought I had everything I needed for it.  I got the head of garlic all prepped and ready to put in the oven to roast only to discover that the recipe called for 2 heads of garlic.  Apparently that information did not register in my brain when I went to buy garlic specifically for this recipe.  I really do need to write everything down and not think I can remember something as simple as how much garlic to buy.  I figured that since I had a large head of garlic, I should be ok...it just would not be as garlicky.

   When the garlic was finished roasting in the oven, I went to get it prepped and then read to let it cool first.  Ok, that made sense, so I did.  An hour later I again read the recipe...um it called for thawed Puff Pastry sheets.  Oh Lordy...I forgot to get the Puff Pastry out to thaw earlier.  In my mixed up mind I somehow thought I used it frozen...I know that makes absolutely no sense, but that is how cloudy my thinking and reasoning is today. 

   The Puff Pastry is now out on the counter thawing and the head of garlic is cooled.  A recipe that should have only taken me about 2 hours total, and most of that was baking time, is on hold until the pastry thaws.  I am also entering into my typical low energy time of the day where even on my good days, I tend to doze off.  That is why I tried to get things done this morning.  I'm thinking at this point that I should just be thankful that I still have all my fingers after having to make 7 different cuts on the head of garlic earlier to expose all the cloves for baking.  It remains to be seen if I ever get these things done and IF they turn out well.  If they don't I am just going to make a tray of crackers and some jarred artichoke tapenade (that I bought at a specialty shop when I was visiting my parents) and call it good.  Yet another reason to have some specialty items that you can use for entertainment in your pantry.

18 comments:

  1. Interesting about what the fitbit reported.. I understand how hard it is to fall asleep and stay asleep.
    For some reason, I woke up at 5am today. Ick. I tossed and turned for a half hour before I gave in and got up.
    Good luck with your recipe. I,too, am pretty useless after lunch time.
    Cheers, SJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have gotten some better sleep since you posted this reply SJ. (((((((((HUGS))))))

      Delete
  2. I hate it when I don't properly read recipe instructions, don't feel alone in this! I hope they turned out ok after all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn, the funny thing is that I actually did read the directions multiple times but the connection between what was written on the page never made it from there to my brain. And yes, they did turn out well after all that. ;)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like I should spend more time petting my cat. I'm not sure if I get the same results from petting my dog.

    Gentle hugs for your fail and fog.
    God bless you!
    P.S. Love the photo of your grandkids!

    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. I would think whichever of your fur babies helps calm you better is the one to go with. ;)

      Delete
  4. Sometimes the brain and the body just do not see eye to eye!!! LOL Good luck on try number 2!
    I know snuggling with my kitties calms me. Unconditional love.
    Feel better and hoping you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl and I had a very good weekend after all. I got to spend time with all three grandkids, my 2 girls and one of my sons, but also had a nice phone visit with my other 2 sons. Happy Grammie and Mom here. I hope you had a good weekend as well. :)

      Delete
  5. I find that I often have hours in the night where I cannot sleep, and I don't even have Fibro to blame!!! Other nights, I sleep fine. No rhyme or reason that I can tell:) So, I'm really good at Candy Crush, and Candy Soda Crush on my Kindle, because I can play without waking anyone else up in our tiny little house where if you clink a dish in the kitchen, the guy in the bedroom comes bolting out of bed to see who's out there......not a good scenario when there is work the next day:)

    All in all, it helps me mentally handle it if I count up how many hours I actually slept, like you do. For me, If I can get 3 or 4 hours, stay awake a couple, and then sleep 2-3 more, it's enough to function. OR, sleep all night and wake up for good around 4--that's fine, too. Any less, and I really cannot function at all. So, it makes sense that you feel like a zombie with so little sleep. I hope you can get some tonight!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky, I'm sorry you have trouble sleeping too. Most nights it is just me and the fur babies at home but the weekends are a different story. Poor Jeff woke up at 2:30 on Saturday morning to find that I was not in bed, but was out in the living room watching relaxation videos trying to get myself to get to a calm place where I could sleep.

      Delete
  6. 3:30 a.m. is about the time I fall asleep most nights. Doesn't seem to make much difference what time I actually go to bed. It's hard to wake up when the alarm goes off at 8:00 a.m. (which is technically the time I am supposed to start work! But they are very kind to me and let me come in late and I make it up after I get home by working from home for a couple of hours).

    I'm sorry you had such a difficult time with your recipe. I hope the puff pastry thawed quickly. I like to work with puff pastry before it has thawed fully. Hope the garlic sesame straws came out fine after all that trouble and were enjoyed by all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ((((((HUGS)))) BLess. I am so glad your work is so understanding. The Puff Pastry came out wonderfully, despite all my mistakes. ;)

      Delete
  7. Oh I have such a problem with sleep. I have all types...can't start to sleep and also wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep again. I have bought sometimes to take over the counter and will start taking tonight. I too feel weird the next day and it affects my memory. Menopause is getting to me. :) Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you Angela. Praying for you and Happy THanksgiving to you too!

      Delete
  8. I wake up a lot at 3:00 am too. So does my daughter! What is up with 3 am?? Funny that your fitbit told you how well you slept...lol. That reminds me of my husband watching the contractions monitor when I was in labor with the first child. He would look at the monitor and tell me I shouldn't be hurting as bad now.... I could have knocked him out! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny, it seems that the 3-4 a.m. time slot is problematic for a lot of us. I laughed reading about what you hubby said and how you reacted. Thanks for the giggle! :)

      Delete
  9. My fitbit lies to me all the time!! I specifically bought one a few years back to track my sleep, because I generally do not sleep well...yet I think any time I'm not moving about it thinks I'm sleeping even if my mind is spinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, mine does the same thing! I have to delete entries during the day when it claims I am napping even if I am just reading or watching TV.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!