Saturday, March 4, 2017

Frugal Friday Wrap Up 2/25-3/3 2017

   




   Good Saturday Morning!  I woke up this morning to snow falling.  I'm not sure who was more surprised to see it, me or Doofy cat. I usually try to get this weekly post finished off on Saturday mornings while Jeff sleeps.  He got home later than usual after working last night and I am hoping he continues to sleep for awhile since he really can't get out and do some work on his car like he had hoped with this weather.  My savings were not huge this week due to Jeff having to use my car for the later part of the week.  I had not planned on going anywhere so I thought we would be saving money by not using my car (since it uses more gas than his), but he is working on replacing something on his car that he is trying to strip the part off his old car and use it.  So far this has not been going well since the bolt is not cooperating and coming off.  Praying he can get it done at some point this weekend.  Onto the savings that I did have...


~Saturday Chris and Heather and Bradley brought Isaiah over to stay with us for the weekend.  They came over earlier than planned so we had them just stay for dinner too.  I made homemade pizzas and we all had a wonderful time!
~After they left, we hot tubbed with Isaiah and he was so tired after that he begged to go to bed.  LOL!  It had been a long day for him.
~Sunday we went to Petco and picked up our free cat treats for Doofy.  We also looked at all the animals there and got to see a chameleon change colors!  That was so cool!
~Isaiah won a stuffed animal in the claw machine at Walmart and proclaimed it was his "Lucky Day".



~We stopped at a thrift store on our way home Sunday after having lunch at McDonald's (Isaiah's choice) and found a pair of DriFit Nike workout capri pants for me, a toy for Caesar, a shirt for Isaiah, a extension cord and some craft supplies.
~We borrowed the movie "Trolls" from Chris and Heather...it was hilarious!
~Sunday night we watched "Finding Dory" on Netflix.
~Sunday night we had grilled cheese sandwiches and ice cream for dinner.
~Monday Chris, Heather and Bradley came over to hot tub before they took Isaiah home with them. While they were here I took advantage of having us all together and made a double batch of homemade biscuits and also made some sausage gravy.  We had that for a very filling lunch together.
~Jeff and I hot tubbed on Monday afternoon before he had to go to sleep for awhile.  The hot tub was already warmed up since the kids had used it earlier in the day.



~Chris and Heather brought us over another bag full of elk and venison steaks, roasts and burger.  They needed the room in their freezer since they are have a whole pig that was just processed.  They will be giving us some of that too.  We are very blessed!
~I used one of the packages of elk burger to make flat baking sheet burgers.  I used up some of the leftover pizza sauce, some bread, some home dehydrated onions and other seasonings and then patted the mixture onto a foil lined baking pan.  I cut the flat burger mixture into squares.  We had them along with leftover rice and potato salad for 2 meals and then as burgers for another.
~I realized that one of my SwagUp bonuses was expiring tomorrow and since I did not have enough Swagbucks for a discounted $25 gift card come the first part of March, I went ahead and cashed in now for a $10 Amazon.com gift card since I do need to place an order there for our hot tub supplies and I am trying to cut the cost of that expensive purchase.
~Jeff needed a cell phone that would actually work in the areas that he travels through each night.  We found one that was a Verizon Tracfone for $100 off the regular price.  It has 3x the minutes, text and data as a regular phone and the phone card was also on sale.  We are going to try again to transfer over all of his minutes (over 400) from his current phone.



~I found lots of items on clearance today including a darling giraffe stuffed animal for the new grandson Stevie at 90% off.  I also got a candle, some Valentine's candy and some earrings.
~I worked my points programs.
~I worked Tuesday morning and got home to find Jeff awake so we headed back into another town to get his glasses.  We got his glasses, did the shopping and came home to grab some dinner of leftovers.
~I borrowed 2 more dvds from the library this week.



~Our sweet neighbor girl's basketball team made it to the State Tournament.  Her mother called and told me that they do "encouragement buckets" for each of the girls filled with notes of encouragement and small token gifts for the girls to read on the way over by bus.  I know that this amazing young woman is just getting into makeup and doing her nails.  I found a pretty card in my stash here, wrote her a note and included a package of the Jamberry nail wraps that I thought she would love because they are a soft minty green color with sparkles on the ends. ;)
~Wednesday night I was exhausted so we switched up the menu and had leftovers for dinner.  I usually save leftover for Thursday night since Jeff bowls then and leaves early.  We ended up having more leftovers Thursday night also.
~Thursday I baked up some Pumpkin Spice Bread from a mix I got on clearance awhile back for .98.  It is one of Jeff's favorites. :)
~I had some Cream Cheese and the last bits of some Mozzarella and Cheddar cheese. I added some bacon bits and seasonings, mixed it all together, and made a nice cheese spread to go on crackers.



~Friday I finished watching the rest of the series "It's a Different World" on Netflix.  Free entertainment for me.
~Friday night I cooked up a big Ziplock bag full of chicken fried steaks.  We had some for dinner and the rest will be eaten over the next 3-4 days.  This is a favorite of my hubby so I know they will not last long.
~Our Heather asked if we had some extra pasta on hand that was not spaghetti noodles that they could have.  We have told the kids to please shop our pantry and ask us if we have something they need before going out and buying it.  I was happy to be able to fill up a bag of assorted pastas for her.
~I took a long hot bath and used some of the anti stress soaking salts that Tammy (Heather's mom) made me for Christmas.  I love them and need to learn how to make them so I can keep some on hand.

   So those are my savings for this week.  I am proud of myself for not having my hubby go and pick up dinner at the tavern for us when I was so tired.  I've been happy to be home for the later part of the week because all the running around and having tons of fun with Isaiah over the weekend and then working on Tuesday along with running errands for most of that day wore me out.  Be blessed!











22 comments:

  1. Snow here too, Debbie. That's March in the north. We got rid of our cell phone and only use a Trac phone now. Saves a lot of money, just have to remember to renew the minutes before they expire.

    Hugs
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, we only use Trac phones for our cell phones but we do still have a landline phone in our home too. We need it for our internet and for Netflix and the Roku. My Trac phone does not work out here but Jeff's new one does. Since I keep getting free minutes and service on mine, we are keeping it and I use it when I am in towns where I work and shop. ;)

      Delete
  2. I just wanted to say again how much I enjoy reading your posts and am so thankful that I found your blog.
    In all the decades (yikes!) I've been cooking, I've never seen 'flat' hamburgers made like you showed here. Kind of like a very flat meat loaf. Why didn't I think of that. Too cool, I will definitely be using this.
    Funny about cell phones - I upgraded my cell that still had a pull out antennae to a pre-paid flip phone. I carry it with me whenever I go out in the car or walking the dog. It works out to $9/month and turns out the minutes rollover. I hardly ever use it but when I need it, it's nice to have. Mostly I use the phone service through my cable company. I get my internet and tv from them as well. All very basic packages. Works for me although when a friend came to visit last year, she said it was really slow to download videos. Hahaha - I had never noticed because I don't do that.
    Take care of yourself after your busy week! We were forecast for snow from today through Wednesday. So far today, though, the storm has missed us. Cheers, SJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI SJ! Thank you for all your wonderful comments, suggestions and for your friendship. I have so enjoyed our chats and getting to know you. :) I hope you did not get too much snow. It's Wednesday night as I am replying and we have had snow/rain/slush/repeat for the past several days. Jeff and I drove home in near blinding at times snow tonight from his hometown where we went for dinner. Be blessed and take care!

      Delete
  3. Ooh, look at all that snow! It was 82F here, yesterday (although today was cooler). Your Doofy cat is so cute! He does look surprised by the snow! That pumpkin spice bread looks so good! Sounds like you had a pretty frugal week, after all. Hope you'll have a lovely week ahead of you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Bless! Wow 82F...that is about at the top of the heat scale that I can handle these days. ;) Sorry I have not been over to read your blog (or anyone else's for that matter) for the past few days...life has been hectic here again. Take care my friend!

      Delete
  4. You had a fabulous week! We love our Tracfones. It is the only affordable way for all three of us to have cell phones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love Jeff's new tracfone and I love that when I am in an area where mine works, it is free for me to use. ;)

      Delete
  5. You should be proud of yourself, you did well! One thing that scares and makes me angry is the price of glasses. Why on earth are they so expensive? What if people are very poor and can't afford that? Do they all drive without the glasses they need??? Wish there was a way to save on that and still get good quality glasses.I just spent over $500 dollares and that was just for the new lenses with one coat of hard-scratch and a coat of something that makes the lenses darker so it's good when you are using computers a lot. Thanks for your visit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Angela that prices of glasses is outrageous! My husband wanted to get the lens darkening treatment (photogray) that turns your glasses into sunglasses when you go out somewhere bright but that would have pushed the price up at least another hundred dollars and we could not afford that. I'll be stopping by for another visit to your blog within the next fews days. I've been busy and have not had time to reply to this post or visit blogs for about 5 days now...wow!

      Delete
  6. Debbie,
    It sure looks like you are doing great this week, even when faced with so many expenses. We got a ton of surprise snow this morning--like 4 inches. Honestly--it's March 6th!!! We rarely get that much snow, ever, but this winter is sure different. I read that you got some on Saturday. What a winter!

    Hang in there--you can do this. I find it such a blessing when someone gives me food, especially when I'm trying to conserve money. I'm glad you were blessed with meat. That helps so much.

    We have had to have so much dental work done lately--it's really made me even more committed to saving on groceries. Rob goes tomorrow for his crown--he's had a root canal after breaking his tooth off soon after Christmas (not his favorite activity), crown prep (no fun at all), and now gets the crown on. I got freaked out by his miseries and went in for a check up, and found that I've broken a filling, so will get that fixed next week. We had been putting the dentist off while he was out of work last year as we had no dental insurance. I'm sure glad we have some now, but still need to pay for the co-pays.

    Never a dull moment around here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praying for your hubby and for you with your dental work. It is so expensive. I put it off for way too many years and so did my hubby because we could not afford it. We still don't have dental insurance but my hubby especially needs to make sure to go in regularly now since he has had so many issues with his teeth.

      Delete
  7. Well, there's no snow here in Hawaii, no matter how much my daughter wishes there was:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'd love to know who you (since it just shows Anonymous) and where you live in Hawaii. I'm a former Kona girl!

      Delete
    2. I'm an Army wife, and we live in Wahiawa (Schofield Barracks). I just found your blog, and I really enjoy your frugal Friday entries the best. Thank you and please keep on blogging. M.

      Delete
    3. Hi M :) Thank you and I hope you enjoy living on Oahu. I have several friends that are living there now and they have told me how much it has changed since the last time I was there about 12 years ago. Have you checked out the surfing competitions on the North Shore yet? They are amazing! Be blessed!

      Delete
  8. Poor Doofy. We feel the same way here - got 3" of snow last night! But it is so beautiful out today, and we won't have to plow,so not so bad. Enjoyed hearing about your very thrifty week! All your meals and time enjoyed with family is so very special! You are an amazing woman :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. With all that you have on your plate, I think you did a great job saving, Debbie. You certainly deserved that bath ;)

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rue. :) I mentioned how much I loved the bath salts in a Facebook post and Tammy, our Heather's mom, who made them said she would make me some more. She is so sweet!

      Delete
  10. Hope your week was busy because it was full of fun things you were doing.
    As to the weather - all I can say is 'yuck'. Friday to Tuesday we had snow every day or night. But it didn't stick. Then mid-day Tuesday until yesterday, we had sleet. I think I prefer the snow!! Anyway,it's mostly kept me home. I had hoped to go to a garden meeting last night but it started sleeting at 4pm. I stayed home. Better to be safe. The good news that staying home has meant homemade soup, more crocheting and finishing a mystery. And, no crashes!! Cheers, SJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SJ, yes, lots of fun things but also a lot of just regular "gotta get it done things too. ;) I'm glad you decided to stay home and be safe. Homemade soup sounds so good right now. I'm sure glad you had no crashes. :) I woke up to the sound of the snowplow going by our house this morning. I want Winter to be done already. I am so ready for Spring! Be blessed!

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog posts. I really appreciate it and being able to get to know you through your comments. I hope you have a wonderful day!